How to Stain a Deck With a Paint Sprayer

$40

Summer is the perfect time to enjoy a deck in your yard. So, Spring is the best time to get your deck in shape! If it is looking worn and faded, why don't you re-stain it? Here is how easy the process is using a paint sprayer. See my whole how to article on my blog: https://www.charlestoncrafted.com/how-to-re-stain-a-deck-with-a-sprayer/

Watch the full project on YouTube!

Prep the deck

Prepping the deck to stain is very important.

• remove all furniture, accessories, etc
  • sweep or blow clean
  • use a straight edge to clean dirt out of the cracks (see video to see this happen)
  • Blow or sweep again
  • Sand with an electric sander to prep the surface for stain

Protect your surfaces

If you are doing a deck that is attached to your house or anything else, use brown paper and tape to tape off about 6 inches up to protect from overspray.

Spray

Put outdoor quality stain in your sprayer. spray using a steady back and forth motion. Be sure to hit from multiple angles to get in the cracks.

Re-coat if necessary

Once dry, you can add a second coat if you feel it is needed.

Enjoy!

Enjoy your newly restored deck all season long!

Morgan McBride

• Pam Lewellen Herron

Why are you advertising Indoor gel. Stain for outside deck?

• Leslie

Hi Pam, I was going to ask same question when I saw you already did. The stain is Valspar semi transparent stain in cedar. I checked his blog and someone else asked same question. Hometalk unfortunately sends people to Amazon for supplies and sometimes the referrals are totally wrong or more expensive than if you shopped around. I wish that people that post their projects here remember to put pertinent info in the description. He was compensated by Wagner for trying out their paint sprayer and it seemed to me he was more interested in pushing that on his blog (not here) than providing info for us DIYers.

• Michelle

It would take a week to sand my teeny deck with that palm sander!! Really?

• You could always rent a floor sander, but know it takes a lot of muscle to control one!! The advantage is you could sand a deck the size of the one shown I an hour or two -- if yippy have the strength to control the sander.