Mint Dying-Why??

ShirleyMorgan McBrideCynthia H
+10

Hello,

My husband and I are looking to make our own tinctures and mint candies. To save time we'd like to clone our mint plants instead of buying seeds. I read about how to do it here: https://maxindoorgrow.com/2019/12/31/how-and-when-do-i-transplant-my-cannabis-plants/ because I heard that mint leaves and cannabis grow the same (and we grow both of them for tinctures-though not together b/c mint tends to hog the soil). However, when I transplanted my baby plants, they died just a few days later. Can someone advise on if using clones for mint is a good idea, or should I just stick with seeds? I usually get my seeds either Burpee, SeedsNow, and Amazon-if that helps any.

• Em

Mint sends out underground runners and the new mint plants grow from there. I am surprised to find yours died, as they are usually tough to kill.!

Dig a hole for each plant. If the soil is heavy amend with compost . This improves drainage. Dig up a small section of mint with a garden trowel. Mint spreads by underground stolons, so you might be able to gently tug or dig up an isolated stem with roots.

Cut the tops of the mint stems to about 6 inches with scissors or a sharp knife. Shake off the soil, then plunge the roots in a jar of water to keep them hydrated.

Separate the stems from each other and trim off roots that are longer than the hole is deep.

Hold the rooted end in the planting hole and back fill with improved soil. Water until the soil is soaked and settles, then add more soil to level the planting site with the surrounding soil.

Apply a 1-inch layer of organic mulch, such as shredded bark, around each stem. Pull the mulch away from the stems about 1 inch to prevent stem rot.

Water thoroughly two or three times a week, if it doesn't rain, until the roots become established. After that, water with 1 inch of water each week when it doesn't rain.

• Nan W.

Shirley: this seems like a question for a "master gardener". --- google those words -- with your state... and you should discover many sources of help.

Hi Shirley: I have Lemon Mint in my yard. Besides being useful for many things, they also repel mosquitoes! Most mints will :) One way to tell a mint plant from another type of plant is that their stalks are squarish. As for why yours died, they may have not had enough roots or water or the ground may have been too hard. I have clay and had to amend it. I use Miracle Grow for gardens. Just a handful in the hole I dig for the plants. They grow by sending out roots all over the place. You should have some seeds from your original plants. I just dig out a clump of my mint plant, dig a hole, water it and let the water settle, put the plant in and cover. They don't require much watering, otherwise. Mint is very easy to grow, and this should do it for you. Good luck.

• Johnavallance82

Hello Shirley,

Just leave your cuttings in water long enough to get a good stock of roots before potting up. Make sure you keep them well watered to start with. Best wishes

• Deb K

Hi Shirley, hope this video helps you out, you could be missing a step between the propagating and the transplanting maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BCYg7Li-gU

Here's one on how to transplant the clones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCSpCf31UEM

• Redcatcec

I agree with Em, mint is nearly impossible to kill. It usually roots very easily and grows in every kind of soil imaginable. Take some cuttings and root them in water, when you have good root production, plant it.

• Mogie

I read before buying my mint plants several years ago. The stuff is invasive and should only be planted in containers so its spread can be controlled. The stuff is almost impossible to kill.

• Could the soil have too much fresh compost in it? That can burn plants some times.

• Cynthia H

Is it too early for your area? With pot plantings you can cover them or bring them in while they get established. Good luck and stay safe!

• Morgan McBride

Maybe let the grow a bit bigger before transplanting. my small plants usually don't do as well as bigger ones.

• Shirley

Thanks so much everyone for the feedback. I'll be trying ALL of them!!

• Beth

Glad we could help! Let us know what works best for you. :-)