How to fill recessed drawer pulls?

DeeSethJanice
+12

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's possible to fill recessed drawer pulls this big? I want to add knobs and modernize it.

Plan is to add legs, knobs and re-stain as well.

Make a cardboard template of the recess. Measure the depth of the recess. Get some wood same thinckness and cut out using the template. Use some wood glue to glue the wood and if you can nail from the inside of the drawers. Then you can fill with wood putty. You can stain using gel stain since the patch wouldn't stain evenly with regular stain or you can paint.

Hi Andy: One thing you can do, and what I do to fill voids in wood, is to make a mix of wood glue and fine sawdust. If you don't have any, there may be some you can get free at the home improvement centres where they cut wood. You can even use the not so fine saw dust and wood glue mix in the hole first, until it's about 1/2 inch from the top, then put on the fine saw dust/glue mixture. Put this mix in the holes, about 1/4 inch thick, let dry completely between applications and keep on until you get a flat surface. This hardens really hard and you can sand it down and paint or stain it. You can add the stain to the last bit of mix, if you'd like. I made a work bench and there were gaps between the boards and I used this and it's been hanging in there for over 20 years :) You can drill in this and treat it just like a wood surface. Good luck

• Vimarhonor

Hello. For restaining its tricky to match grain. Even with wood putty.

I am not sure I would attempt such a job. If painting furniture— theres many more filling options that are disguised by paint. I hope you can find the perfect solution.

• Morgan McBride

You could fill with wood filler.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

What about adding a back plate behind the new pulls to cover the indebted ones. It could be in a similar material to the new pulls.

• JudyH

I refinished a lateral file cabinet with recessed handles like this. Rather than filling them, I bought decorative blocks of wood big enough to cover the recess, glued the blocks on with E6000 glue, and then added my knobs in the center of the wood block. I used doorknobs from Hobby Libby for knobs. I also added chunky ball feet and put a french script stencil on top. Amazon has many sizes of wooden plaques to choose from.

• Unique Creations By Anita

Find some scrap wood and cut it to a similar shape so it fits inside that hole. Glue the scrap inside and fill the gaps with wood filler and than sand smooth.

• Redcatcec

Fill in with wood putty and sand or put in a piece of wood sized to the gaping area, you can use glue to do that. Drill a hole through the filled in area for the knob. From there you can sand the drawer front so all is smooth, then use a gel stain for the drawer or paint.

• Kathy Gunter Law

You can cut a piece slightly smaller and glue into place. Then putty the small space around it. Another option that would be cool would be to finish the pulls in different color.

• Kmdreamer

Yes I would use wood fill after it’s dry sand smooth them paint

• Flipturn

An option to filling the holes is to cover them, with a metal or wooden backplate. Then mount the knob on to the plate. Here are some examples of repurchased backplates. But, covering a thin wooden piece with fabric or wallpaper could also work.

• Janice

Hi Andy, here's a Hometalk link to when someone else was having the same issue. Maybe there's an answer or you here....

https://www.hometalk.com/16549238/q-i-need-ideas-for-a-recessed-cabinet-pull-cover

• Seth

Andy,

Another technique would be to make what is called a Dutchman, a type of wood patch. Google it and see if it will work for you. Basically, instead of trying to fill the existing recess or cutting a piece to fit it, you are going to cut a rectangular block of wood slightly larger than the recess. Then trace it on the drawer and carefully chisel to the dimensions of your scribe mark (if you don't have a router). Tap the block in with a rubber mallet and sand smooth. Use the sawdust from sanding mixed with a little glue to fill any gaps.

• Dee

DLawsless sells templates that you could put over the cut outs. Or like someone else said go to Home Depot or Lowes where they cut the wood. Bring a plastic bag, they will give you the wood dust for free. Add glue and you have wood filler. Fill thin layers at a time and let dry until you get to the top, then sand.

You could also fill it with Bondo, let completely dry, sand and paint.