Throw Together a DIY Chandelier Planter to Brighten Your Porch

$30

This recycled chandelier planter project is the perfect way to spruce up your porch for spring. Using an old chandelier, some terra cotta pots, and spray paint I created the perfect adornment for my backyard. You can customize this project to fit your home’s exterior, or hang it inside for some creative decor. Change the plants out seasonally to add a pop of color, or use it as a creative herb garden, it’s totally up to you! Follow my step-by-step tutorial to create your own.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Old chandelier
  • Terra cotta pots and saucers
  • Bull nose pliers
  • Wire cutters 
  • Spray paint
  • Flowers 

rep the Chandelier

rep the Chandelier

Seeing as this chandelier is not going to be used for light anymore, there is no need for the wires. You don’t need to completely remove the wires, but you should cut them down. Using bull nose pliers I cut the wiring as close as possible to the top of the chandelier. This is what I did for a thin wire that was in the chandelier. 

Cut the Wires

For a thicker wire I used basic wire cutters to cut it. You might have to make a few cuts to completely cut through it. 

Remove the Candle

Then I repeated the process on all of the lights on the chandelier. I removed the faux candle and cut the wires.

Unscrew the Candle

Unscrew the Metal

Next I unscrewed the metal part of the faux candle. 

Remove the Bottom

Using a vice grip I grabbed the end of the candle, which was the nut, and with another set of pliers bent the candle back and forth until it snapped off.

Cut the Wires Flush

I cut the wires as flush as possible and screwed the nut back into place. This part doesn’t have to be perfect as we’ll be covering them up later with saucers and pots. 

Flatten

Attach the Saucers

Check How It Sits

I set the saucer onto the chandelier to check where it was going to sit. Where it would be touching the chandelier is where I would apply glue. I chose to work with Beacon Power-Tac. It’s industrial grade adhesive and is sure to stand up against the elements as I’ll be placing this chandelier planter outside. Make sure to work in a well ventilated area when using products like this.

Add Glue

I applied a line of glue along the lip of the chandelier right where the saucer would sit.

Attach the Saucers

Then I pressed the saucer into place. My chandelier probably isn’t the best quality, but this allowed me to bend the arms so that the planters would be able to sit as flat as possible. I repeated the process with all of the arms of the chandelier and then left the glue to cure for 24 hours.

Paint

Paint the Chandelier

As I was working with spray paint I chose to work outside. I hung the chandelier outside and got to painting. I got a good coat all over the chandelier, including the chain at the top. Then I left the chandelier to dry and moved on to the terra cotta pots.

Paint the Pots

Terra cotta is very porous so it may need a few coats of paint. Because the bottom of the pots won’t be shown you can forgo painting them, but do make sure to paint the inner lips of the pots as they will show.

Seal

Seal

This step is up to you. If you’ll be hanging the chandelier planter out in full sunlights, give the whole thing a nice coat of polyurethane to protect it. Mine will be kept on my porch so I didn’t seal it.

Glue Down the Pots

Glue Down the Pots

If your chandelier planter is going to live inside, you may not need to glue down the pots as it’s unlikely that it will be moving at all. However, if it’s going to be outside or in a high traffic area you really need to glue them down. Make sure to hold onto the chandelier and counterbalance it if you add the pots while it’s hanging so that it doesn’t tip over.

Step 6: Fill with Flowers

Pick your favorite flower and plant them in the pots. I went for a bright yellow flower to contrast the pink pots. 

DIY Chandelier Planter

This project is a great way to brighten up your porch for spring! What flowers would you use for your chandelier planter? Let me know in the comments below!

Beth Kingston

• Pj

Would plastic velcro hold the pots on well enough?

• Beth Kingston

Hi PJ! I think if you were going to have it under cover (like a front porch or a kitchen window) it totally would! We have it out in our garden so glued them down - thankfully - since we've had some pretty strong storms recently! :)

• Mary

If you seal the saucers to the pots how do they drain for live plants?

• Debra

You could glue 3 or 4 rocks or glass stones from Dollar tree between your saucer and pot to raise it up enough to drain.

• Mamamia

i would like flowers that smell good

• Shirley Barnett

I have a nice chandelier on my porch now just getting rusty. Will have to do some sanding first but want to try this. The body of my lamp is ceramic with green leaf pattern so will get something to go with that. It's an old Mexican chandelier I've had for years. Thank you for the idea.