How to Make a Unique Toy Animal Succulent Planter

$15

I've wanted to make a DIY toy animal planter or three for years, and was so glad I finally did. I think they turned out pretty cute, and are one of my favorite ever DIY projects.They are so easy to make, are a fun conversation piece, and also make great gifts.Want to learn how to make your own?
Gather your supplies:– Hard plastic toy animal figurines (larger the better)– Spray paint in various colors– Faux moss– Faux succulents (or real air plants)– A drill (or small sharp scissors)– Hot glue gun
Start by spray painting your animals with 2-3 coats.
Here they are after coat number one.
Add a second coat, and once dry, it’s time to cut the hole(s) for the plants to go in.I gathered these four supplies and tried two different methods (you really only need the drill or the small, sharp pair of scissors unless the toys are made from super hard plastic—then I’d recommend the drill only).
Method 1I took my drill and drilled 5-6 small holes in a small area to insert the plant stems into. As you can see this method removes some of the paint.No worries, just give those areas another quick shot of paint if you’d like, but not necessary.Also your hole doesn’t have to be perfect. The moss and succulents will disguise all of this.This is my preferred hole creating method.
Method 2I tried one without a drill to see how that would work. I punctured the toy and with a screwdriver and then small pair of scissors.Then from there I cut out a very sloppy rectangle shape.
As you can see this method also removes some of the paint. Again, no worries, just give those areas another quick shot of paint if you prefer.Also a reminder—your hole doesn’t have to be perfect. The moss and succulents will disguise all of this.
Once you have your holes cut it’s time to start adding in your succulents.
Once you’re happy with the succulent placement, get your glue gun and moss and start gluing the moss to the animal back at the base of the succulents. This helps to better secure the succulents as well as cover any imperfections.
Once you have added moss to all animals to your liking you are FINISHED!
Take a look at your beautifully unique DIY toy animal planter masterpiece. Pretty easy and fun, huh?

15 Memorial Day Crafts
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
Audrey Kuether

• Tam

Never, EVER, would have thought of that...brilliant!

• Flipturn

I've seen these toy animals used as candle holders on birthday cakes, but never as succulent pots.

I guess this goes to show that you never know what you might see on Hometalk!