Asked on Jun 18, 2020

Cover fabric bins?

Lindsay AratariJohnavallance82Kim  |Exquisitely Unremarkable
+14

I love cube storage and I’ve recently become pretty obsessed with all things buffalo check. However, I can’t find the cube bins in this pattern. I had the idea of buying a buff check table runner and cutting it down and using that to cover some existing bins I already have. Most runners are 14” in width and all my bins are under 11”. My thinking is that I can attach the material with fabric glue but I’ve never undertaken a project like this before so I’d love any feedback or pointers. Thanks so much

• Attaching fabric is a great idea. You could use fabric glue or even Mod Podge. They make a formula for fabric. My one pointer is to spread the glue evenly before applying the fabric. Using an old credit card or gift card works great!

• Recreated Designs

Hi Jenn, depending on what the storage cubes are made out of, the quickest and easiest way to attach the fabric would be a spray adhesive. You would cut your fabric to the size you need, spray some spray adhesive (like Aleene's or Elmers) on both the back of the fabric and the storage cube, wait about 30 seconds and then place the two together. I would recommend doing this outside as the adhesive, being aerosol, can get everywhere. Once they are bonded together, they will stay together beautifully. Have fun!

• Recreated Designs

No thankfully. It is just spray, give it about 30-60 seconds to activate and then stick the two things together. It is wonderful! I like Aleene's; which you can get at most craft stores and I use it all of the time on the blog for projects and I have never had a problem with it adhering.

• Cheryl A

you could also use scrapbook paper in buffalo checks and pod modge it on then if you want to redo them later on you pull off the old paper and use a new design

• Kathy Gunter Law

This is definitely a "doable" project. I would go with a spray adhesive in this case. You will need a little extra width because that will allow you to fold down over the top and bottom for a more finished look.

After you apply the runner to all 4 sides (without cutting, letting it "stick up" on bottom and top 1-1/2"), make sure it is completely dry. Then you can fold over 2 sides, the ones opposite of each other. After they dry, fold the other 2 sides. For the overlap in the corners, you can either fold like a package or trim. I think you will be fine folding it, just make sure it is neat and not bulky.

I think this would make a great project to post.

• Jenn Dacey

Thank you!! I’ve never really had a decorating style, and the last few years, I have known I wanted black white and gray. So then I kept seeing all this buff check stuff and knew that was the perfect way to tie it all together. I pray the vision in my head comes together like I hope!!

• Vimarhonor

Hello. That sounds like a fabulous project. Depending upon how thick your fabric runner is you might be able to use spray adhesive for Modge podge. Have you looked in the fabric department for buffalo check fabric?

Thinner fabric would be easier for the glued manipulation and attachment.

In the past to make fabric covered photo albums I have used the wonder under fusible fabric to cardboard/poster-board to wrap the fabric completely around the cardboard. The same thing could be used for your bins if you made this fabric covered cardboard template. And then you could use a glue gun on the templates to attach to your fabric bin.

I hope you find the perfect solution for your project

• Janice

Spray adhesive is what I use to adhere fabric to plastic or cardboard. It's quick and easy. Have your fabric cut to ize, spray the adhesive onto the bin, doesn't take much, then simply press the fabric on. You can adjust the fabric for better placement for a few minutes, then smooth with your hands and it'll look fabulous!

• Morgan McBride

I'd use iron on hem tape!

• Beth

Mod podge has a fabric-specific glue that I would use for this. I've attached fabric to fabric with it.

Hi Jenn: Have you checked with a fabric store, like JoAnn? They usually have a nice selection of buffalo check material. The fabric glue is a good idea. Good luck

• Homeroad

I think I would cover them with buffalo checked fabric. Maybe a cloth shower curtain or a table cloth would work better than a runner.

• Johnavallance82

Hello Jenn,

Use Mod Podge to stick the fabric to the bins.

• Lindsay Aratari

You could use hot glue or a staple gun to attach the fabric