How do I make a smaller mirror from an existing mirror?

+11

I have two wood framed mirrors I had made for our master bath. They made them larger than I requested, but because I had a party coming up in just two days, I had to take them. Now I want to cut them down to the size I originally wanted. How do I do that?

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Jun 21, 2020

It is best to take them to a glass and mirror place and have them cut them.

• K. Rupp K. Rupp on Jun 21, 2020

Are they beveled? If so, yes take them to a glass place to cut them.

If not, you can do it yourself. You will have to get comfortable with cutting glass.

Cutting glass is not that hard. You need a glass cutter and running pliers.

https://www.amazon.com/Crafters-Heavy-Cutting-Running-Pliers/dp/B0746N3VLH/ref=sr_1_13?crid=3T5IZWI0JXQ0I&keywords=running+pliers&qid=1563112575&s=gateway&sprefix=running+pliers%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-13

Check out you tube videos on how to cut glass because it is pretty easy. People are intimidated by this and it is easy and very cheap if you do it yourself. Going to a glass place to cut it will cost a lot more. And ANYONE can do it with a little practice. I am a small person and I do it all of the time!

But practice first on cheap sheets of glass from the local hardware store before you start cutting the expensive mirror.

Good luck!

• Nan W. Nan W. on Jun 21, 2020

Sounds like THEY should cut them down --- if the mirrors are larger than YOU REQUESTED!!

• Hi there. We've had mirrors cut before, but only by a pro. We never wanted to risk breakage or injury. It can be done at home with the proper tools, but depending on the mirror thickness and size you may need specialized tools. Here's a video to show you the process. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEwPOuFXT_s

• It's best done by a professional. Even with experienced DIYer's I've seen things go awry.

• Janice Janice on Jun 21, 2020

Sorry this happened for you. Did you let the business know at the time they were not what you ordered? Why ot request the place you had make the mirrors to redo them? OR, if that's out of the question sell them and buy the size you want.

• Grandma D Grandma D on Jun 21, 2020

Thanks, Janice. I had not thought about selling them since they are custom and stained to match my cabinets. But I'm definitely going to consider that option.

• Unexpected Elegance Unexpected Elegance on Jun 21, 2020

There is some good information here:

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-cut-mirror/

• Grandma D Grandma D on Jun 21, 2020

Love to watch Bob Vila. Great suggestion. Thank you.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jun 22, 2020

I would take them to a glass store or hardware store that cuts glass. They will usually do it for a couple of bucks. That's cheaper than buying the blades to cut them yourself.

• Morgan McBride Morgan McBride on Jun 22, 2020

Mirror is REALLY hard to cut without cracking in my experience

• Betsy Betsy on Jun 22, 2020

I would take them back and tell them that the size is wrong and have them fix it. Of course, it has to be done in a reasonable length of time, like less than a month. I would tell them that you tried to live with them, but that it just isn't working. Make a copy of the bill or contract to take with you. Keep the original at home. They should be happy to accommodate you, if not, there is always small claims court :) Good luck