How to kill weeds safely in backyard?

SharonBetsyMorgan McBride
+11

Hello again! My garage and patio are finally completed but now I have another issue. The contractor threw Scott’s seed down everywhere about 2 weeks ago. I’ve been watering it 3x a day because it’s in the upper 90’s. I am so disappointed.....about 80% of it is clover and the other 20% is crabgrass and another broadleaf grass! I’ve been hand pulling stuff but it’s a waste of time. Can anyone recommend a way to remove these weeds myself without ruining some of the green healthy part of the lawn that is barely noticeable? I have a dog so I need to be careful what’s applied. Thank you to everyone once again!

• Oliva

Your clover is due to a lack of nitrogen. Applying several applications of Milorganite should markedly improve the nitrogen level while avoiding any potential to burn your lawn. Follow package directions and DO NOT apply in excessive temps ( check the package label).

As concerns the crabgrass, you'll need to restrict your dogs for a while and apply Tenacity, which is a very effective post emergent (there are several You Tube videos showing how well this works to eradicate post emergent crabgrass), or wait until next Feb./Mar. (depending upon your location), to apply a pre-emergent. If forsythia starts to bloom or ground temps are over 50 defgrees Fahrenheit, it's most likely too late.

Note that generally speaking, weeds surface because your soil pH is too acidic. Lawns prefer a more neutral level. Therefore, you can do a soil test and apply lime to your yard, in the Fall, but keep your dogs off the area until you've watered in the lime and left it set for at least 5 days.

• Morgan McBride

Your best bet in the middle of grass is to pull weeds. Any weed killer will kill your grass.

• Unique Creations By Anita

We have a product in Australia called weed and feed. You attach the bottle to your hose pipe and spray the lawn. It kills the weeds and fertilizers the grass.

• Because you don't want to kill the grass, try Weed & Feed.

• Redcatcec

I would recommend Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed 3 which is non-toxic to pets, you have to follow the directions to the letter. Best to you.

• Cynthia H

We just used Weed and Feed this spring on our backyard and the grass has never looked better!

• Vimarhonor

Hello. Does the Scotts have some sort of guarantee for their product? Do you still have the bag/receipt, sometimes with poor germination I have gotten a refund for some bad seed. It does involve sending the package back to them. But as expensive as it is I always save the seed package and receipt until I see a good performance.

We choose not to use a lot of chemicals because we have a dog as well as a waterfront property. The way we handle weeds off in his hand pickIng or flame weeding. We have a weed dragon. Lately we are living with clocer, its a new concept that it can coexist in lawns.

For crabgrass are use something called a weed popper. But unfortunately they’re not sold any more it is a wonderful foot operated tool that would pop the crabgrass right out of the ground to collect. It they did away with this useful tool

• Johnavallance82

Hello Chriss,

Just keep watering the lawn and sprinkle more seed. Keep the dog off the area. Let the lawn develop and don't worry too much about the weeds at the moment. Best wishes.

• Chas' Crazy Creations

Here's a post I wrote about how I kill mine - https://chascrazycreations.com/save-your-garden-sprays-2/

• Chloe Crabtree

I would use Scott's Weed and Feed which is safe for your dog.

• Morgan McBride

boiling water kills weeds but will also kill your grass.

Hi Chriss: The recipe I use is:

1 gallon of white vinegar

2 cups of Epsom salts

1/4 cup of dish washing detergent, like Dawn.

Mix the vinegar and salt until the salt is completely dissolved.

Mix in the Dawn until mixed well, but not all fuzzy and sudsy, sort of swirl it around.

Put in a spray bottle and spray the weeds liberally, in the morning after the dew has gone. Then, by evening the weeds should be dead or on their way out. Don't spray anything you want to keep or it will die too. I have used this and it works quite well. Also, it's good for making an edging as it kills only what it touches. If you have something like a piece of cardboard, hold it up and down, edgewise, and spray the area you want as an edge. Just be careful not to spray your flowers and/or bushes. Good luck

Or

WEED KILLER WITH DAWN

1 gallon white vinegar

1 cup of salt

1 Tbsp liquid Dawn

Combine ingredients and put into a spray bottle and spray the weeds at the sunniest time of day.

This mix is very effective so make sure it doesn’t spray on something you DON’T want to kill. Good luck

• Sharon

I use Scotts Weed n Feed granules 2x a year. Then I also use Ortho Weed b Gon for clover, an oxyalis herbicide to kill clover. I just keep the cat and dog out of the yard until the next day, after applying in the evening.