DIY Your Own Wind Chimes Using Vintage Silverware

$20

I just love the sound of soft tingling wind chimes. If you do too, let me show you how I made a lovely wind chime from some vintage cutlery I found at a flea market and some bits and bobs from my craft room. You will need a few DIY tools, but no scary power tools needed. No special skills involved, just a little patience.

Gather your spoons and forks and prepare them

I used spoons and forks. You can use the spoons as is, but I altered them slightly for a more beautiful look and a better sound effect.

I flattened the curved bowl of the spoon.

After some trial and error I found that the easies way to do that was by pressing them in a work bench. To avoid scratches I covered my work bench with some rubber from a bicycle inner tube. Just gently press and move the spoon a bit from time to time.

They come out nice and flat after this step.

I used a large fork at the top, two spoons and two forks for the middle part, and some extra smaller spoons for the bottom part.

Drill holes

With a very small drill bit that is suited for drilling metal, make holes in your spoons and forks. Wear eye protection for this part. It 's unlikely but tiny metal bits could fly around. Better be safe than sorry!

Sand the holes so there are no sharp bits sticking out.

Start messing up the forks

With pliers, carefully twist and turn the tines of the forks outward. The older your vintage forks are, the more careful you will have to be. Just take your time and softly bend them in a cross form.

Make hooks at the end

Bend the ends of the fork into a small hook with pliers.

You will need different kind of pliers for these last two steps. I explain the process in more detail in my post.

Beautify it

Hang the spoons and forks from the top fork with fishing wire.

Make sure that the length of the fishing wire is such that the bended tines of the forks dangle against the flattened spoons.

Make dangly bits with beads from your craft room stash. Hang those and some small spoons from the forks.

Hang and enjoy

This are quite delicate wind chimes. Hang it where it will catch a breeze, but not be caught up in big wind gushes. I hung it underneath the roof over our porch. It is the perfect spot to hear the soft, delicate tingle.

If you like this craft you might like my vintage book stack project too.

Or maybe you prefer a wall decor project like my boho feather wall art

Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
Marianne Songbird

• Dl.5660408

Such a beautiful wind chime! We’re they stainless, silver, silver plated? Also, we’re the tines difficult to bend? Thanks for sharing this Marianne

• Dl.5660408

Thanks for the advice, I’m looking forward to trying this😁

• RSQ55

Can you share or post a picture of the wind chime in its entirety? It’s beautiful but I’d like to see a full shot. Thanks!

• C Crow

What we can see looks pretty. Could you post a photo of the whole chime too to bottom. Also, were these stainless, plate, or silver? Thank you for your sweet idea.

• Marianne Songbird

I'd love to, I am not home however. It might be a while before I can photograph it. But the top is one fork treated exactly like I showed in the post. From that top fork are hanging two more forks and the spoons. And I think it is silverplated, but I am not sure. I just know it was all very old.

• Carol

I bought 2 of these from a craft store when i lived in Denver CO. Love them.

• Terry

I’ve got some old spoons that my mom collected from her travels, they are about the size of my hand. You’ve inspired me!!!!

Now I’m going to search for tiny forks, use your tutorial & my imagination. Thx so much for posting!

• Marianne Songbird

What a great idea to use your mom's collection for this. Have a great time making this wind chimes and then enjoy the sounds for years to come!