Taters & Onions Storage Wall Bins

$5

This has been the summer of potatoes and onions so I needed a space to put them where they'd last longer.

Luckily we always seem to have scrap wood on hand but I'd think this should cost under $5 if you need to purchase some wood.

Choose your location

Cool and dark is best and I do have a door in my kitchen that goes to the basement. Since it's very nearly the same temp on the steps if the door is shut as it is in the basement I decided to have some wall bins added on the right side at the top of the stairway.

Cut the end pieces

You'll need two end pieces per wall bin so once you determine the shape you'll cut them your table saw or a circular saw will work also.

Cut your slats

Cut 5 to 6 slats per bin. This part is easy but be sure you put them close enough together that your veggies won't fall through. Ours were a tiny bit too wide for the smaller potatoes with 5 slats.

Clamp the pieces together

Once you clamp the slats/end pieces you can use the brad nailer to attach them.

Nail it

Use enough nails that it is sturdy so go ahead and add more. This part is kinda fun

Attach bins to the wall

Our basement landing walls are plaster so we screwed vertical wood slats to the existing baseboard and a piece of wood midway up then attached the bins to that. Lucky us.

Most people don't have to deal with plaster like we have so you probably just use wall anchors to attach your wood bins.

Potatoes & Onions

It doesn't hurt to use a layer of newspaper in the bottom of the bins but make sure airflow is still good. Since our bins are 24" wide there's plenty of room to space things out.

Onions emit Ethylene gas which is a little heavy and I believe will drop so putting them below Ethylene sensitive potatoes makes more sense to me. What are your thoughts on this, does the gas rise or fall?

Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?

• Gail

I am curious as to why the bins are narrower at the bottom? Could they be wide all the way down? Inquiring mind. Good to know about not storing potatoes and onions together.

• Dee Dee Caswell

Air flow. If the bottom were the same width the potatoes on the bottom would spoil sooner due to the weight and lack of air

• Cheri Tanner

Is that dry cat food or dog food under the onions? Wouldn't the fumes of the onions get into their food? Is it safe there???

• T

I would move the animals food bowl under these binds. As onions are very toxic to dogs and cats alike. The onion skins can flake off and end up in the food bowl, NOT GOOD!! Potatoes are not good for them either. Other than that the binds look great!!