How To Make Candy Floss Roses

$10

I love roses. Not only do they smell gorgeous, but they always add a touch of romantic elegance to a space. A few weeks back our local florist had a special on white roses, and I couldn't resist buying myself a bunch or 6 😀 You see I had plans to transform some of them into these gorgeous candy floss roses for a gender reveal party for friends of ours.

Aren't they beautiful? They’re really easy to make too with this super simple tutorial. All you need is time to play and the following:

• Long stemmed white roses
  • Craft knife
  • Red and Blue Food colouring
  • Warm water
  • Suitable containers.
  • Empty Toilet Roll.

Use the craft knife to carefully slice each rose stem upwards.

The cut needs to be about 10 cm long (4") to make it easier to split the stem halves into shot glasses as shown below.

Fill two shot glasses with warm water and red and blue food coloring

Tape the shot glasses together and then add a toilet roll on top before inserting the roses.

The toilet roll helps keep the roses upright while they absorb the food coloring.

It looks pretty ridiculous right  Anyhows, depending on how long your stems are, it takes 2 to 4 hours to see the roses change color. It's so amazing to watch.

I think they're absolutely gorgeous.

We also made a few green and yellow ones for ourselves.

And if you're wondering whether our friends had a baby boy or girl, perhaps this final beauty will give you a clue

And if you want to know how we made these Oreo Dipped roses, you're welcome to click here for the full tutorial.

31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
Michelle Leslie

• BananaLemonWatermelonKiwi

Do you think you could plant roses, that are white, and water them with colored water and them grow that color? I was just wondering if anyone new the answer to that. Thanks!

• Beth Moore

Also a retired teacher, and I did this as a science experiment in my classes. For someone else who might try this with their children, you can also use white carnations. Ask your florist for the ones that have not been put in water.(if you tell them what you are using them for, they will make sure you get the ones that will absorb the color) You also need to use a lot of food coloring. More than you would think you need so your flowers will be brilliantly colored. Kids really like that wow factor!

• Terri

I remember doing this with white carnations with my son when he was in school. They lasted forever (he’s 31 now). Thanks for bringing back my memories. Can’t wait to try again

• Michelle Leslie

It's one of the best ways to teach our kids how special nature is  Enjoy playing again Terri

• Connie Christianson

I used to put Lily’s of the valley In colored water. They turn out really pretty!