DIY Tobacco Basket

$10

These baskets are super popular right now, but they can also be quite pricy. I love the look of them, but I needed a fairly large one so I figured I would try to make one my self. It was actually a very simple project and it only cost about $10! I am so pleased with how it turned out.

Materials needed

• 5/8” flat basket reed.
  • scissors
  • binder clips
  • cotton twine
  • glue ( I ended up switching to wood glue as I found that it provided a much stronger hold. The only downside to using wood glue is that I had to wait for it to dry in between each step)

Determine the size of basket you would like to make

Find a box similar to the size you want your tobacco basket to be. A diaper box ended up working perfectly for the size of basket I needed. You will begin by wrapping your reed around the box and clamping it using the binder clips.

Making the frame of the basket

To make the frame of my basket I wrapped three layers of the basket reed around the box, making sure to add a good amount of wood glue in between each layer. I used the binder clips to hold the reeds together until the glue was completely dry.

Basket frame

At this point the three layers of the basket reed should look like this.

Making the first layer

Arrange four pieces of basket reed in a diamond pattern. Once you are happy with the placement glue and clamp the reed down until dry. You can easily trim off any excess pieces using scissors.

Making the second layer

Next arrange the pieces of reed lengthwise and repeat the process of glueing and clamping the reed down until dry. I found it much easier waiting for each layer to dry, that way I knew the pieces were placed exactly where I wanted them and I didn’t need to worry about them shifting.

Making the third layer

This last layer is slightly more complicated as you have to weave the basket reed perpendicular to the previous layer, but once you get the hang of it it’s quite easy. Do not weave the basket reed through the diagonal pieces.

Trimming the basket reed

I found it much easier to trim the pieces of reed before glueing and clamping them, but you can wait until the end to trim everything at once too.

To neaten up the edges and add more strength to my basket I added two more layers of the basket reed all along the outside, again making sure to use plenty of glue between each layer.

I was so happy with how my basket turned out! When I removed it from the box I was pleasantly surprised at how sturdy it actually was. For this reason I highly recommend using the wood glue, if you don’t mind waiting for it to dry in between.

You can now either paint or stain the basket how ever you like! I used some very watered down paint I already had on hand. You don’t need to be neat and precise when you do this. I wanted my basket to look aged so I wasn’t concerned with it having a very even coat of paint.

Since the paint was so watered down the basket reed absorbed most of it, leaving a weathered wood look. This is exactly what I was going and thrilled with how it was coming together so far.

To finish everything off I wrapped cotton twine around the whole basket and secured it with a knot at the back.

This is what the basket looks like up close.

I added a small green wreath to the middle of my basket and I am so happy with how it turned out. I am already planning on making more of different shapes and sizes.

30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box

• Carrie Stephens

Great job! About how much of the basket reed did you need to do this size basket would you guess?

• Barbara

I've done very little crafting and DIY but this looks totally doable and amazing!

EDIT: I have found that the reed that looks like what you used is unavailable from Amazon and I cannot find it in 5/8" width elsewhere either. Amazon does have a similar product available in 1/2" by approx. 185' and 1" by approx. 70', either one costing about $20, BTW. I think perhaps your project caused a run on this product! A similar 5/8" reed is available, but reviews mark it as very thin and prone to breakage. I will continue looking but if I have to buy a different product, from one of those I mention above, what do you suggest: 1", 1/2", or 5/8" but thin? Or do you have another suggestion?

• I think the one inch would work well! That is what I was originally going to use but couldn’t find it at the time 😊 hope that helps!

• Pamela

The finished one has a long reed weaved. Did I miss that? Also,. Did you soak the weeds first? I'm new to this but I love your basket