Thrift Store Butcher Block Riser

$15

I found this small butcher block at a thrift store for less than $2. I knew immediately it would make the perfect riser with a little bit of elbow grease!

Supplies

Wood candle cups are the perfect size and shape for small risers, they're also very cheap which is perfect for budget DIY projects.

The first thing I did was clean the butcher block a thoroughly. I then gave it a good sanding, starting with a course sandpaper and working my way up to a finer grit. When sanding it is important you go with the grain of the wood. My goal was to create a smooth surface and lessen the appearance of the dark stain.

After sanding and wiping away saw dust I applied wood conditioner. Wood conditioner helps stain apply more evenly and get rid of blotchiness. I allowed the conditioner to sit for 10 minutes before wiping away the excess.

During those 10 minutes I went ahead and stained the candle cups. I used a small foam brush and wiped away excess stain after about 5 minutes.

I then went ahead to stain the butcher block. If I had chosen a darker stain the black stain on the butcher block would not have stood out. I chose a lighter stain because it matched the rest of my kitchen.

I let my pieces dry for about 2 hours before attaching the candle cup legs. I only used wood glue.

I applied a thin coat of the glue to the base of the legs and gave them a little twist. I allowed the wood glue to dry for several hours before moving the riser.

Ultimately the dark stain on the butcher block bothered me more than I thought it would. I ended up adding two stripes to camouflage it better. To make the stripes I mixed black acrylic paint and baking soda to create chalk paint. I used painters tape to create the design I wanted and a foam brush to blot the paint on.

I hope you've enjoyed this project and feel inspired to hit the thrift store and get creative!

Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives

• Kristi Mooneyhan

Why didn’t you just turn the block over and use the other side for the top? If you don’t want to do that you could still sand that down past the black stain and knife marks. I like the raised/leg idea!

• Jane White

Love to see how the top turned out. Didn’t see it finished only the side.