Easy Afternoon Makeover

$64

My living room needed a splash of color but I didn’t want to paint any of the furniture so what other choice did I have than to paint the inside of the front door?

This is what my front door has looked like since we moved into this house. It’s a pretty door with some details and even has a beautiful stained glass window in it. But it seems rather plain and boring so I decided to bring it to life with a splash of color.

Supplies Needed:

Amy Howard Clean Slate

Cotton cloth

Paint

Paint can opener

Stir stick

Paint brush

Foam roller (not pictured because I didn't have one until the hubs ran to Wal-Mart after I started the first coat and brought me some foam rollers)

Empty cottage cheese container (or whatever container you have on hand, I just happen to eat a lot of cottage cheese and the containers are great for paint)

I absolutely love the Amy Howard at Home line of paints. These paints are so fun to work with and give me amazing results every time.

For this easy afternoon project of painting my front door, I’m using a color I’ve been wanting to try for quite some time, Vintage Affliction!

The first step is always to tape off anything that you don't want to accidentally get paint on. I have a pretty steady hand so I didn't worry about the trim but just taped the door handle, hinges and the stained glass window!

This paint does not require any sanding or priming, but cleaning the surface to be painted is very important. Amy Howard has a product to make that step very easy, Clean Slate!

Using a clean cotton rag I poured a small amount of the clean slate on to my cloth and then wiped down the entire surface of the door making sure to get in all the crevices and around the details.

I poured a small amount of paint into my empty container and added some water to it. I don't measure it but I put in a little at a time until my paint was thin but not drippy! I wanted the first coat to act as a primer and this technique works very well for that plus it saves money by not buying primer, and now my primer coat is the same color as my paint! I brushed it on in all the details and around the edges and then finished it with a roller. I let this first coat dry for about an hour just to be sure it was good and dry.

l'll be honest, I was a bit worried about my decision to paint my door after seeing this first coat but I’ve been down this road before and I know that the first coat is always a little terrifying and it will be much better after the next coat.

I had a very small amount of the watered down paint leftover from the first coat so I just added some fresh paint to that and stirred it really well to make the consistency nice and smooth.

I repeated the same pattern of starting with a brush and painting all the detail and edges and then I finished it off with a 4 inch foam roller.

Two coats was all it took to take this door from boring to beautiful!!!

I can't even tell you how much difference having my door painted has made in the front of my house! It's the perfect splash of color that this room needed! I do have one regret though...I wish I had done this right after I moved in over 3 years ago. Not only do I love having my door painted, but this color is absolutely my new favorite.

I now know what color I'll be using to paint my master bathroom vanities...Vintage Affliction by Amy Howard at Home! Be sure to stay tuned for that fun project. I hope to get started on it ASAP!

If you'd like to give this paint a try, hop over to my blog at somethingpaintedwhite.com and click on the link at the top of the page.

As always I would love to see you over on Instagram where I spend a lot of time in stories doing DIY's and chatting it up! You can find me @somethingpaintedwhite

If you're having a bit of slow day and have a couple of hours to spare, consider painting your front door, or back door, or any door! And be sure to let me know so I can take a peek and give you a high five!

Thanks for being here friends,

Happy Painting!

Cindy

• Clean Slate  (amyhowardhome.com)
  • Paint  (amyhowardhome.com)
  • Paint Brush  (amyhowardhome.com)

16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!

• Paula Mandaglio

Did you do both sides of the door?

• Mary

Can you tell me what material your door is made of? Wood, metal or fiberglass?

• Cindy L Borunda

My kitchen is white and small, the walls are a pale very light blue hue, the door leading to my laundry room is white- what would be a great color to make it pop?

• I agree with Kelly in that it’s a very personal choice. I would definitely get a bunch of sample chips and use the process of elimination. I always tape the samples all over the area I want to paint and leave them for at least 24 hours to see them in all lights. As soon as I see a color sample take on a hue that I don’t like, I eliminate it, continue doing that until it’s narrows down to simply deciding on which of the remaining chips, which are usually only a few.

You might want to get some blues that are darker than your walls, and some

that are lighter. Also consider a contrasting color and get a few samples of that, perhaps greens and yellows. It’s a fun process and it’s worth it to take your time in choosing a color. Best of luck to you!

• Jo-Ann Brannan Stempka

I love the color!! It's perfect! Also love your telephone! I hope it is a working phone? So cool👍

• Mayah

What is the color you used? It's beautiful. Just the color I was looking for.