Wall Canvas Decorated With Toilet Paper

$10

Have you ever thought how you can make home decor using toilet paper. Me neither, but it was a blogger challenge in the one the DIY groups I belong too. Decorating with toilet paper would be the last thing on my list, or to be honest even enter my head. Trying to come up with a toilet paper craft that had not been done 1000 times before was no easy task. I accepted the challenge and this oriental canvas was the result.

To start, you need to add some texture to the canvas. To do this you can use some cardstock and the toilet paper. Our toilet paper had some cool waving lines embossed in the surface which would add a nice effect. Using craft glue, glue some toilet paper onto the card stock and let it dry. Once dry you can cut a circle for the centre.

I had an idea that I wanted the canvas divided up into 4 sections with a focal point in the centre. Each section would be decorated in a different way using toilet paper. You can make some rectangle shapes for each section.

Making the lotus flower

Because I had planned to do an oriental canvas the lotus flower was the only flower I thought I would be able to make. Using the empty toilet roll, flatten the rolls and mark every 5 mm across the length of the roll. Next, you can cut the roll into small sections

The cut-up toilet roll was glued together to form the shape of a lotus flower. You can then glue the lotus flower onto the circle you cut out in the previous step.

Paint the base of the canvas

My canvas was a recycled canvas I got from the art class at work. To cover the previous painting I painted the canvas with black gesso. Using masking tape you can divide the canvas up into the 4 sections.

I used metallic acrylic paints to paint between the lines.

Adding gold leaf

In hindsight the gold leaf was overkill, I could have just used the metallic paints. But as usual, I went over the top. The foil is more vibrant than it shows in the final pictures, so it is prettier. Add some size adhesive to the toilet paper and leave it to become tacky. Once the size adhesive is tacky you can add the metallic leaf. The idea was to have different colours in each section.

Place the gold leaf over the toilet paper and smooth over with a soft brush. You can repeat this with all the colours. Once the gold leaf is dry you can remove all the excess with the soft brush.

Next, you can make some more decorations using the toilet roll. You can use something like a paintbrush handle to roll up some of the strips of toilet roll.

Glue the ends in place so they do not unravel.

For the sticks, you can use some kebab sticks and wrap them with toilet paper. I used some tacky glue and rolled the toilet paper around the sticks.

To make the small balls you can roll some toilet paper in your hands and cover them with glue. Leave them to dry before painting them.

All the embellishments were painted black because I knew I would be highlighting them with bronze wax paste later.

Next, you can glue all the embellishments into place using a multi-purpose glue. I added so oriental coins to the centre, together with all the embellishments that I made using the toilet roll.

To highlight the black background I used a gold wax paste. The painting in the background added some extra raised areas which looked good once highlighted.

This little Buddha sums up my feeling about this project. But toilet paper projects are so popular I thought I would share mine with you.

I have no idea how to cost this project because I used everything that I had at home. I also only used very small quantities of each one. So I am guessing a cost.

More DIY Project you may like

This house number has a flower box with fake succulents so no maintenance required. It also has a solar light so the house number can be seen at night.

Sparkling DIY perfume display stand

This is such a pretty way to display your perfumes on your dresser.

15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
15 Memorial Day Crafts
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Unique Creations By Anita