How to: Transform a Boring Cork Board

$25

I don’t know about you.. but the 2020 pandemic has sent our normally organized and fairly scheduled family into a whirlwind of never-ending summer vacation randomness. Now that school is back in session (can I get a HALLELUJAH?!?) it’s time to get back on top of our regularly scheduled programming when it comes to our family routines.

On my blog I shared our newly refreshed command center and answered the most frequently asked questions I have received when it comes to command center planning and executing. As a bonus I’ve also rounded up a TON of helpful resources and ideas for you to create your own organized space in the home!

You can find that post HERE.

Today I'm sharing one of the DIY projects I took on while transforming this particular space in my home.

It was a super easy way to give our command center the little bit of extra space it needed.

It all started with this large cork board that I scored on clearance at Hobby Lobby for $22.

I love a large cork board. However, this particular one is a little more rustic than I prefer. Since I already had some chalk paint and other supplies on hand I decided to turn it into a little "BUY to DIY" project so it would better match my style.

Supplies I used:

FrogTape

Chalk Paint

Chalk Paint Wax

Leftover Peel & Stick Wallpaper

Tools used:

Large Carpenters Square

Utility Knife

Step 1: Line the edges of the cork with painters tape.

Step 2: Paint the border color of choice

Step 3: Wax/seal the paint (only if using chalk paint)

Step 4: Remove the Frog Tape (when paint & wax are dry.

Step 5: Add peel & stick wallpaper.

Notes for applying paper:

Start in the center and use carpenters square to assure the paper is on straight.

When paper is applied use the carpenters square again to secure the edges of the paper to the border.

Use carpenters square as a guide and use a utility knife to cut your paper along the border of the cork board.

Press on the paper firmly to assure all edges are secure.

Finally, I hung the cork board on the wall and added our family calendar, grocery list and meal planning items. This space is the perfect compliment to the other command center zones in our home!

Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Kera @hautehouselove

• DC

By using paper, won't you eventually get lots of holes showing from tumbtaks and pushpins?

I like your idea, but l will use material as my background.

Thanks for the inspiration.

• Flipturn

The thumbtacks and pushpins that are being used on the board are stationary, as they are holding the category title cards in place. They are not being taken out and pushed into the back of the board all the time. For papers, etc. that are being constantly changed, clothes pin clips are used, not pushpins. Or, the pushpins are stuck into padded or cork individual backings.

• I wonder if I can use paint and stencil ? I love the idea and the print on the wallpaper