DIY Clay Vase

$0

With fall just around the corner I wanted to warm up our home by adding in earth tones/natural looking colours. So, I decided to DIY some thrifted vases by making them look like clay. Once fall hits and I really start to decorate I plan to add in some fall stems. Oh, and did I mention I’m using pancake mix!

Find a vase

This vase was .50 cents from the thrift store. You probably have something around you home that you could use.

Mix your paint

I used craft paint I had on hand and mixed them together to get the desired colour I wanted.

Add in the Pancake Mix

This is the fun part! To get some texture and to change the consistency of the paint I added in some pancake mix. You could also use baking powder or something similar.

The one thing to keep in mind with using pancake mix is that it will soak up the paint. I recommend adding in a little at a time until you get the consistency you want. If it gets too thick- just add water!

Paint the vase

Time to paint! I did roughly 3 coats of paint allowing enough dry time in between coats. The first coat generally takes the longest to dry.

Style your vase

TA-DA!! This is the final outcome. I love the texture of the vase that the pancake mix five to it! The best part is this only cost me .50 cents as I had everything else on hand!

30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas

• Ann
    Ann

I would be concerned that it might draw bugs of some kind. I would probably just mix in a little sand to get the rough texture!

• Sheba92766
      Sheba92766

I think arrowroot powder might give the consistency without attracting unwanted things.

• Em
    Em

What is the point of pancake mix? Even if did use something why not flour?his is Mixing acrylic paint with flour can help thicken the paint, however it may come at a cost. Household or natural items like flour, sand, sawdust, and other natural biodegradable substances will not last as long as their manufactured acrylic medium counterparts and may end up flaking off or even molding on your canvas.

• Karen Weisbaum
    Karen Weisbaum

I just gave a friend a clear vase and she said it looked so plain so i sent her your pancake mix idea.

But what I really want to know is where did you find such interesting looking knobs for your nightstand in the photo? Would love to find an old piece of white/cream bedroom furniture to add those knobs to. Thanks

• Meg
      Meg

Thanks for sharing! The knobs came on the furniture as they’re original.