DIY Clay Vase

$0

With fall just around the corner I wanted to warm up our home by adding in earth tones/natural looking colours. So, I decided to DIY some thrifted vases by making them look like clay. Once fall hits and I really start to decorate I plan to add in some fall stems. Oh, and did I mention I’m using pancake mix!

Find a vase

This vase was .50 cents from the thrift store. You probably have something around you home that you could use.

Mix your paint

I used craft paint I had on hand and mixed them together to get the desired colour I wanted.

Add in the Pancake Mix

This is the fun part! To get some texture and to change the consistency of the paint I added in some pancake mix. You could also use baking powder or something similar.

The one thing to keep in mind with using pancake mix is that it will soak up the paint. I recommend adding in a little at a time until you get the consistency you want. If it gets too thick- just add water!

Paint the vase

Time to paint! I did roughly 3 coats of paint allowing enough dry time in between coats. The first coat generally takes the longest to dry.

Style your vase

TA-DA!! This is the final outcome. I love the texture of the vase that the pancake mix five to it! The best part is this only cost me .50 cents as I had everything else on hand!

Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute

• Ann

I would be concerned that it might draw bugs of some kind. I would probably just mix in a little sand to get the rough texture!

• Sheba92766

I think arrowroot powder might give the consistency without attracting unwanted things.

• Em

What is the point of pancake mix? Even if did use something why not flour?his is Mixing acrylic paint with flour can help thicken the paint, however it may come at a cost. Household or natural items like flour, sand, sawdust, and other natural biodegradable substances will not last as long as their manufactured acrylic medium counterparts and may end up flaking off or even molding on your canvas.

• Karen Weisbaum

I just gave a friend a clear vase and she said it looked so plain so i sent her your pancake mix idea.

But what I really want to know is where did you find such interesting looking knobs for your nightstand in the photo? Would love to find an old piece of white/cream bedroom furniture to add those knobs to. Thanks

• Meg

Thanks for sharing! The knobs came on the furniture as they’re original.