Entrance Shoe Chest

$0

So a long time ago, I had painted this chest for my kids to put their toys in. My kids grew and I inherited the chest which I used in our room to put sheets and blankets. But it was time to change it's purpose and look.

The top of the chest broke and I could not use the top anymore. So I found some antique wood planks that were wide enough at the local Habitat for Humanity store. I cut it to size and used another piece for the back. I used two gate hinges to attach the bigger piece to the smaller, and permanent piece.

I also sanded the piece and stained it with a dark brown stain which I don't remember which one. The smaller piece in the back was screwed down.

So the bigger piece is the one that opens. I painted the inside with the same blue that I painted the outside.

I don't have pictures of the process but it was not hard to do. I sanded the outside lightly and painted it with a chalk blue paint.

After it was dry, I wrote the word "Welcome" with a chalk using a level to make sure it was straight and then used a hot glue gun to write over the word.

In this photo, I had already applied the glue to the word and after it had dried, I brushed over it more of the chalk paint. Then when it dried, I glazed the entire chest using some faux glaze mixed with black acrylic paint (about one part paint, two part glaze) to "age it" and also to make the word stand out.

Obviously, it is not perfect.

And that was it. Now it's by the entrance and we can throw shoes, skates, pet toys or whatever needs to be hidden. I was so happy to be able to reuse the chest and make it rustic and useful.

31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring