Fall Stove Top Potpourri Recipe

$10

Make your home smell like fall with this easy stove top potpourri recipe. This is a natural way to use fresh fruits and dried spices to naturally scent your home. You can use the same mixture up to 4 days, but you'll need to refrigerate it between uses.

How It Works

Simmer pots work by heating dried spices and fresh fruits on the stove top. You'll want to add water to the fruits and spices and put them in a large pan on the stove. Them heat to just under a simmer and let it cook for several hours. You should never leave these unattended and don't use it when you won't be home. Add more water as needed.

Fruit and Spices

I used cranberries, cloves, cinnamon sticks, apples, grapefruit, and lemons. You can also add figs, nutmeg, rosemary, thyme, vanilla extract, or orange peels.

Cut Fruit

Start by cutting your fruit into slices.

Add fruit to pot

I added 1 cup cranberries, 1 teaspoon whole cloves, 3 cinnamon sticks, 1 apple, 1 grapefruit, and 1 lemon. You can also add 1-2 drops of essential oils if you want. Make sure any oils you use are safe for kids, pets, or pregnant women if they will be in the area. I like using Citrus Burst for more citrus scent.

Add water

Add water to cover the fruit and spices. Then place on the stove and heat until it is simmering. Reduce the heat until it's just below a simmer. Let simmer for several hours. Add more water as needed.

Store Leftovers

When you're done, remove from heat and let cool. You can then place it in the fridge up to 4 days and reuse it.

Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
Everything Pretty

• Lailasultani
    Lailasultani

Do u use the water? How about the fruits n spices?

• Debbie
    Debbie

The cranberries in photo look like they’re fresh. Not dried like the “Resources For The Project” would imply. Which were actually used???

• Everything Pretty
      Everything Pretty

I used fresh cranberries. Hometalk creates their own links for resources, and sometimes it doesn't match quite right.

• MICKEY    AKA MICHELE MCNEILL
    MICKEY AKA MICHELE MCNEILL

I AM HANDICAPPED AND I AM LIMITED PHYSICALLY AND FINANCIALLY!! I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW LONG DOES THIS LAST AND WHICH IS THE LONGEST LASTING ITEMS TO PUT INTO A POT OR SLOW COOKER?? MORE BANG FOR THE BUCK??

MICKEY

• Tish Ann
      Tish Ann

In the article she said u can use it up to 4 days but when done using it u will need to refrigerate it 😊

• Butterfly
    Butterfly

I use my slow cooker as a safer method.

• Kiki
    Kiki

I will be trying this today and I will be using orange , lemon ,cloves and cinnamon sticks.i am so exited can’t wait to smell the results..😀