Cut a Hole in Your Front Door for A New Look!

$300
1 Day

Doors can be expensive to replace. So if you don't like the style of your door or just want a new look did you know you don't need to purchase a whole new door? You can just replace the glass or even just add glass?

Our door wasn't bad, but the glass in it just wasn't my style. I also wanted to add in more light into our entry way. So I worked with a company called Zabitat that sells the glass inserts for doors!

This way you can just replace the glass, or add glass!

The first step is to remove the glass insert that is already in your door. Which is actually pretty easy and had no idea that you could do it...it's just a few screws!

I then marked off where our door would need to be cut for the new insert.

Then using my jig saw with a metal cutting blade, since that's what my door was, I cut door to the correct size opening.

The new insert comes with two pieces, the front and the back that are then put in place the same way the other one was removed, with just a few screws!

The frame is paintable but you can also get stainable as well if you have a wood door.

Once painted it looks like the door came like that!

The new style fits more with the home as well as lets in more light!

You can see the full process I did on Facebook live in my post here.

An easy and inexpensive way to give your door a whole new look!

25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
15 Perfectly Round Tables
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Tara Boettger

• Debbie

I love the idea. My concern is, can you do this to a solid metal door? I assumed I would have to purchase a new door with glass in it.

• Karen Hyde

If you look at the picture where she has the jigsaw, she mentions that the door is metal.

• Sta28797963

Looks nice . My question is what did you do with the glass you took out ? Did it come out in 1 piece ? If so ... wanna sell it ? :)

• Tonya Reed

It is not a good idea when it makes it easier for you to get robbed. They only have to break the glass an they are in

• Brandi Lynn

the same goes for windows. The original door had glass that could break just as easily. In fact I can go through a door in a few minutes. I'd rather have a pretty door then live in fear of a break in. I have had a gun held to my head while being robbed (not at home), i still want the pretty door. lol

• Linda

I didn't think the original looked too bad, though it was not my style. However, the after picture is a WOWZA. I mean, it is so much better. Great job!

• That is crazy good!! I'm pinning this because I would love to do it. Thanks so much for sharing.