Making a Wreath From Natural Materials

$15

I love incorporating natural materials into any DIY project for two reasons. 1) You cannot replicate nature and its beauty; 2) Natural products are free and do not cost anything. Good quality faux branches and flowers are expensive. And even though they are pretty, they are not genuine or unique as Nature provides. Have you ever made a wreath using natural materials?

The mornings here are crisp and cool now which is a great time to scavenge and hunt for just the right foliage. I do not know the names of these plants and they could be weeds for all I know. But I am looking for different textures, colors and sizes to make sure the wreath is interesting.

Armed with my straw basket I set out looking for a variety of cuttings. The oak and aspen trees provide good material for the backdrop of the wreath. When I return home, I spread out a plastic tablecloth to assemble the wreath. Be prepared for a few bugs too.

In my blog post I make two natural wreaths, but I will only show the second one here. To see the first wreath I made, click here.Using wild grasses, I fill the back drop of the 18" grapevine wreath frame (purchased from Walmart), wiring them on with green floral wire for a full look.

The grasses give the wreath an ethereal feel with the airy material.

I actually love how the wreath looks at this stage. You can add additional wild flowers or cattails if you would like. Since the first wreath I made from natural materials is more complicated and complex, I want to keep this wreath very simple and natural.

Using inexpensive picks from Walmart, I tuck these into the grapevine wreath frame and wire them securely.

Adding faux amaranthus picks for color (purple), jazzes up the wreath a bit.

The purple color gives some definition to the area of the picks.

Here is the final version of the 2nd wreath. These are so easy to make and finding natural material in nature is half the fun of this project.

To see a more detailed tutorial and another wreath, please visit my blog here.

15 Memorial Day Crafts
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
Life at Bella Terra

• Lynne
    Lynne

beautiful!

• Gail
    Gail

Use care that you don't pick ragweed or another major allergy producer. I love fall and love to go out into the pastures after the long HOT summer. Sadly it's my worst allergy season. Took off a couple weeks ago on the first cool morning...right thru a bunch of pollen. Halfway thru I saw my mistake! Went home and showered.....

• Ann Baxter
      Ann Baxter

Fall is my worst allergy season too but I do love the Fall flowers.