Normal craft felt is fine, and you can stuff these to make them thicker if you want, but I love the thick textured boiled wool from felted wool garments.
Embroidered Snowflake Recycled Felt Ornaments
Make beautiful Christmas tree ornaments with a few simple hand stitches on scraps of felt or, even better, scraps of felted wool sweater!
- printable Stick ‘n Stitch
- fabric shears
- felted wool sweater (see link above for instructions on felting wool sweaters in the washing machine), otherwise felt, flannel, cotton or other fabric.
- embroidery floss
- embroidery needles
- a glass wide enough to go around the snowflake designs
- tailor’s chalk
- FREE printable snowflake embroidery pattern (Click here to get the free pattern on my blog!)
Print the embroidery pattern on Stick n' Stitch, then stick in on to the felt. Embroider over the design. (If you need help, click the link for the free pattern and you'll also find a video showing how to embroider it.)
Rinse off the Stick n' Stitch and let the fabric dry. Then trace around a glass with chalk and cut out the circle.
Put two embroidered circles back to back and sew the edges together with the blanket stitch or other hand stitch. (The video mentioned before also shows this step.) Add a hanging loop and you're done!
Now make more for your tree or other holiday decorations, or to put on wrapped gifts!
You can also watch the full tutorial video!
- Printable Stick ‘n Stitch (https://amzn.to/32SVqss)
- Fabric shears (https://amzn.to/2Vhu1gR)
- Embroidery floss (https://amzn.to/32cZ2o4)
Top Hometalk Projects
Want more details about this and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!Go