Easy Open Shelving

$20

You know those cabinets over your fridge? You know, the ones you can't reach so you just store random stuff in there and forget about it. Or you just keep them empty. Yeah, you know the ones. These:

There has been absolutely nothing in these cabinets since we bought this house 2 years ago. SOOOO- Let's take it down, shall we?

Step 1: Remove cabinet doors

Go ahead and take those useless doors off. We wont be needing them.

Step 2: Remove screws

Remove all screws that are attaching the cabinet to the wall and to the other cabinet.

Step 3: Loosen molding

Loosen molding if you have it with a flat head screw driver. Try not to break it as you still need it on the other cabinets.

Step 4: Pull that thing down!

I was shocked at how quickly this came down with a little tug! So glad this shocked/excited face was caught on camera  . Cut the molding at the edge of the cabinet with a saw.

Step 5: Paint

Paint your newly exposed wall to match the other walls.

Step 6: Prepare for Brackets

Move the fridge out of the way and mark where your brackets will go. Ideally these would go into a stud, however my studs are not placed correctly here so I will use anchors for my screws.

Step 7: Drill

Drill pilot holes for your anchors. Insert the anchors and then attach your brackets!

Step 8: Mount Shelf

Attach your lower shelf to the brackets!

Step 9: Repeat

Repeat the same steps for the upper brackets.

Step 10: Mount Upper shelf

Attach your second 2x12 to the brackets

Step 11: Style!

Style your new open shelves with whatever you'd like! Plants, vintage glasses, books, seasonal decor, whatever! As long as it isn't something you use daily- you can't reach it, remember?

That's it! Step back and enjoy the view and contemplate taking the rest of your cabinets down

Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames

• Ayme Cardwell Zantua
    Ayme Cardwell Zantua

I love your kitchen!!! Especially the green color on the island. I’ve been feeling the greens lately! And the wood you use really ties the whole thing together. Lovely!

• Kay
    Kay

looks great- why dont you flip your fridge handles so it opens on the right?

• Judy
      Judy

Looks to me that with the pass thru door on the left wall there might not be clearance for the fridge door to open fully.

• Sue
    Sue

Great idea. Forgot what's stored in mine. But what did you do with the cabinet you took down?

• Rena Noele
      Rena Noele

Meg, you're very smart to save it. If/when you sell your home, the buyers might not be in love with open shelving.

• Wardie
    Wardie

Instead if going to all this trouble I just took the doors off those cabinets & put display items in the space.

• Sherri James
      Sherri James

That was my thought. Why not just take the doors off and add shelves.

• Jackie
    Jackie

Me too. Just took doors off and made the open look my shelves