Can I glue wood on the ceramic tile on my fireplace?

+12

I want to update my fireplace by gluing wood Over the tile but hubby is concerned about the heat. Please help solve this issue. Thank you

q can i glue wood on the ceramic tile on my fireplace
  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Dec 04, 2020

Hi! Some Municipal government requires a setback when applying wood around a fireplace. Check into yours. Good luck!

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Dec 04, 2020

These are the National Safety rules, take a look at them and see if your county has additional rules, you might contact your local fire station for them:

https://www.hunker.com/12003794/rules-of-fireplace-surrounds

• I would be concerned too. You may consider tiles that look like wood - they're used for flooring.

• Morgan McBride Morgan McBride on Dec 04, 2020

I'd look for peel and stick wood like tile or something like that. better safe than sorry when it comes to fire.

• Em Em on Dec 04, 2020

Try using a row or two of decorative tile around the outside edge of the fireplace. Then add the wood back a distance. Eco Primo makes a tile over tile adhesive.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Dec 04, 2020

You could but I would make sure to use an adhesive for high heat areas. Also consider adding a border around the fireplace to insure you don't get the wood too hot.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Dec 04, 2020

I would be more apt to look into wood-look ceramic tile to simply put right over your current tile. That would give you look like you like without having to worry about safety concerns.

• He's right to be concerned about the heat. The reason it's tile is for safety reasons, it's code. Check with your local building department to see what's allowed and go from there.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Dec 04, 2020

In the info I found, it does not suggest to glue wood over tile due to heat issues - it is best to remove the tile first. You could add tile over tile but not wood and make sure the adhesive you use is rated for a fireplace

• One idea is framing it out and then painting the tile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5bj_VJsSoQ

• William William on Dec 04, 2020

There is a setback from the firebox to anything flammable. Basically 6"+ setback. That is what the tile is for. You can replace it with different tile or paint and seal it.

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 04, 2020

Yeah you aren't supposed to have wood next to fire box within 36" for many housing codes, it could invalidate your homeowners insurance if you have a fire. But the good news is they have tiles that have wood grain patterns.... here is gray wood grain.... https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=gray%20wood%20grain%20tile

• Penny Penny on Dec 04, 2020

Thank you for your responses very much appreciate the recommendations. we definitely won’t be doing anything with wood

• Mogie Mogie on Dec 04, 2020

A cordless electric fabric groomer. It works wonderful on pilling of material whether it is on a sweater or other material. It brings things back to life like new.