Asked on Dec 11, 2020

How do I remove hardware?

Deb KMarciaJulie
+14

It’s glued on really well. I’m wanting to repaint it. Tried goo be gone with a razor scraper. Would a heat gun work? Removed the screws also. Thanks.

• GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY

Yep definitely try a heat gun. Have you tried paint stripper around it?

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

here is some info about using WD 40

https://www.hometalk.com/42058482/q-how-do-i-remove-glued-on-hardware-from-kitchen-cabinets-drawer-pull

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Use a solvent like acetone. You might try stripping first, that could also dissolve the glue.

• Mogie
    Mogie

You can try WD40, it is also a solvent which most people have at home. My first go to would be to try and loosen the glue with a knife. If that does not work, you may need a solvent from the hardware store.

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
    Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

This may help you remove it (and not break it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMVAv61DudI

• Before using anything oily, like WD-40, I'd try heat and then some paint stripper. Once you have something oily on it, you will have to clean it really well before painting it.

• Recreated Designs
    Recreated Designs

Hi Julie, are you able to get anything under any part of the hardware at all? It looks like the wood is pretty soft so I would try slipping something thin under the hardware and trying to pop it off. If you gouge the wood, you could add a little wood filler before painting and then adding the hardware back on.

Betsy

Hi Julie: There should be screrws on the back of the door. Or, if not, try putting a cloth over the nail head things and see if you can unscrew them with a pair of pliars. Use the cloth to keep from scratching or gouging them. If they are, indeed, glued on, maybe a heat gun would work. Good luck

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

There is probably no contact with the inner door of this display, you'll have to work from the front. Can you tell what it is made of? The top looks like metal and the bottom of wood. I would work to pry off the metal part and them strip the bottom portion, which seems to be wood.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. Have you tried to use a flat putty knife to try to pry ...pop it off?

• Cindy
    Cindy

Hi Julie. I would try heating the glue first. Perhaps a heat gun or a blow drier on high setting. At the same time try sliding a putty knife under the hardware and popping it off. Good luck.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Julie,

Don't bother with removing it all. Use fine sandpaper to get into the areas to remove the Varnish. Then remove the rest with a sander. Stain and Varnish. Paint the Knocker and studs using an Artist Brush. Hope that helps.

• Annie
    Annie

You could try some steam, Lay a old cloth over it and pour HOT water on it. Let sit for a few min and try a hammer and chisel. You will have to be very careful not to damage. Then you will need to let the wood dry completely before finishing Good Luck

• Julie
    Julie

Ok, so after reading everyone’s response, I re-evaluated the situation. I realized that the hardware isn’t glued on at all. There are teeny tiny little nailheads holding this hardware onto the wood. So, I put the screws back in, and tapped them back in with a hammer. This popped the hardware right off! Thank you for all of the useful information!

• Marcia
    Marcia

I accidentally had hand sanitizer on my hands and touched dried paint on a brush. It came off like it was fresh paint. You might try rubbing it on the edges and any area that is open. Let it sit for 10 minutes and try a thin knife behind it. It softens paint on roller covers at the end that had dried for over a month. Worth a shot. If you get paint on your clothes dab some on let it sit and it rubs right out.

• Deb K
    Deb K

Hi Julie, hope this helps you,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twjS-n-8cu8