DIY Mercury Glass Christmas Wall Art

$5

How to create high-end vintage mercury glass wall art for the holidays for less than $5!

I wanted to add a few 'vintage' pieces to my Christmas decor this year. I'm loving the look of mercury glass this year and when I saw this gorgeous wall art at Pottery Barn I instantly fell in love!

SOURCE: Pottery Barn

Although I already have a sign with this particular saying, I loved the look of the sign but it was $150, so I wondered if I could make it myself, but with different wording.

So the first thing I did was gather together my materials.

• Picture frame (I bought mine at the Dollar Tree)
  • Looking Glass Spray Paint
  • Vinegar/Water in a spray bottle
  • Black Spray Paint (matte finish)
  • Vinyl Stick-on letters
  • paper towel

To start: I removed the glass insert from the picture frame. After wiping it down with glass cleaner, I set it down on a protected surface. Then I gave it a one light coat of the looking glass spray paint. Before that could dry completely, I lightly sprayed the surface with the vinegar water. This will naturally react and create that vintage look, but to make it more 'textured' I used a piece of paper towel and dabbed the wet spots haphazardly.

I repeated these steps until I had the look that I wanted. Then I allowed the glass to dry for about 30 minutes. Once dry, I turned the 'mirrored' side over and gave the other side a light coat of the black matte spray paint. After 10 minutes, I gave it one more coat and then allowed that to dry for another 30 minutes.

To create the lettering on the wall art, I chose these stick-on vinyl letters. I've used them in other projects and just love how easy they are to work with.

I chose 'Merry & Bright' as the saying on my wall art. To apply the letters I simply laid them down in place and pressed lightly to seal them to the front of the mirror. When all the letters were in place I put the glass insert back into the frame, secured the back, and VIOLA! New vintage wall art! And my cost? A total of $ 3 for the frame and lettering!!!

You can find the full tutorial in the link below!

25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
Pallet and Pantry