Asked on Jan 12, 2021

Help! How to get rid of these black marks on my stainless steel sink?

BeaniemeanieAnnieMaura White


I just rented an apartment recently and only found that there are these black marks on the kitchen sink. I'm sure it was from the last tenant, but I already miss the deadline for submitting the defects report to the agent.. I'm so panic that the agent will blame me for that so I hope I can find a solution here

It's not really some black stains, coz when you touch them, they are not flat on the surface, it's like some small dents.

Does anyone know how to fix this please?

zoom in
17 answers
  • Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law
    on Jan 13, 2021

    Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide make a great scrub.

    If they are in the finish, you will have to reapply baking soda and rub it in to keep it looking white.

  • Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
    Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
    on Jan 13, 2021

    This shows how to clean it with vinegar and baking soda, which should get it out:

  • Em
    on Jan 13, 2021

    I don't know what caused them but I use a Scrub Daddy sponge and Biocleaner paste in my stainless steel sink. It takes out every stain I have ever had.

    • Kathy Gunter Law
      Kathy Gunter Law
      on Jan 13, 2021

      That is a great option, using cold water so the Scrub Daddy stays stiff. Love both of those products.

  • Janice
    on Jan 13, 2021

    You might try a Brillo steel wool soap pad. It is abrasive enough to perhaps get rid of the stain but not so abrasive that it harms the stainless steel sink in any way. Scru b wll and rinse, then dry.

  • Redcatcec
    on Jan 13, 2021

    Try Barkeeper's Friend, It comes in powder and liquid forms.

  • Johnavallance82
    on Jan 13, 2021

    Hello there,

    If they are digs into the steel sink, maybe a rubber hammer hitting the tops of the peaks made under the sink! But you could report them, or, so no more damage is done. Cover them with a sink saver( sort of mat).

  • I've always used baking soda or steel wool.

  • Mogie
    on Jan 14, 2021
  • Sharon
    on Jan 14, 2021

    I would still send a report to the agent and just explain you didn't remember to add this to the list, along with a photo.

  • Vimarhonor
    on Jan 14, 2021

    I agree with the above poster Bar keepers friend is an essential product to have on hand to use cleaning many household items.

  • Dee
    on Jan 15, 2021

    Whatever you do DO NOT use a magic eraser, it will scratch the sink. I would use Bar Keepers friend and scratchless brillo pad. The sink should come out perfect.

  • Cheryl A
    Cheryl A
    on Jan 15, 2021

    call the landlord and explain this to them send photos and just let them know you found this after moving in you can;t use anything abrasive on stainless steel it will scratch it

  • Chloe Crabtree
    Chloe Crabtree
    on Jan 16, 2021

    I would use Barkeeper's friend to try and treat them, but only after you notify the landlord.

  • Betsy
    on Jan 16, 2021

    Hi Beanie: Whatever you use (I suggest Barkeepers Friend), be sure you rub WITH the grain of the sink, not against it or in a circular motion. I agree, contact the rental agent and explain this to them and let them know it's not your doing and ask them if they know how to clean it. Also, get it in writing that they know that this exists so they can't say you did it later on.

    Good luck

  • Maura White
    Maura White
    on Jan 16, 2021

    Try bar keepers friend - The Oxalic Acid that is the active ingredient is a miracle worker. You can find Bar Keepers friend in the cleaning aisle - usually near comet.

  • Annie
    on Jan 16, 2021

    If its a actual dent, not much you can do. I would get ahold of rental agent and just tell them the truth....

  • Beaniemeanie
    on Jan 23, 2021

    Thanks for your advices, I already informed the agent :) I've also tried bar keeper friends but it didn't work

Your comment...