DIY Color Block Corkboard

$7

I wanted to incorporate a corkboard for my daughter in her desk area but an orange cork board clashed with the space. Here is the super simple way I fixed that problem!

I purchased a corkboard from Target for $7.00 and used leftover paint I already had at home to make this work with my space. For my project I used Sherwin Williams On The Rocks (gray) and Resounding Rose. Can you spot it?

I sanded the entire frame first because it was a bit glossy to ensure my paint would stick. Then I used blue painters tape to tape a straight line across the bottom portion of the corkboard. You can have your colors divided anywhere you’d like. I painted three coats of On The Rocks letting each coat dry in between for 30 minutes. I very carefully removed the tape while the third coat was still wet.

Then I placed another line of painters tape to protect the gray paint and painted three coats of Resounding Road also removing the tape while the third coat is still wet.

So happy how it came out! And it still functions as it should.

Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss

• Maureen Georgetti
    Maureen Georgetti

I recently made a similar desk area for myself. Im definitely going to incorporate this idea into the area! I love the color choices!

May I ask what you used as your desk top?

• Melissa
      Melissa

It was a piece of butcher block countertop we cut down to 5ft long

• Pat
    Pat

Can you tile right on a mirror.

• DN
    DN

Just curious, what happens to the finish when you poke holes in it with pushpins? It looks great, but I wonder how functional it will be.

• Melissa
      Melissa

It will show the holes just like a corkboard with no paint, like we have in our home office. But she hasn’t moved a whole bunch of stuff around at this point. Just put up a couple notes and a photo in the same spots.

• Melissa
    Melissa

Thank you!

• Diana speraw
    Diana speraw

I'm inspired! Love the look and color choices. Thank you so much for sharing. The brown tones of the butcher block are ideal with the gray and rose. Perfect!