Faux Stone Pot

$20

Hello friends! In this tutorial I am going to show you how I took a plain plastic pot and made it into a stone looking pot. You can do this technique on any type of pot you want to change the look of.

Watch the tutorial here

I choose plastic because it is inexpensive and available at most stores. When you are finished you can use these pots indoors or outdoors.

To start you will need to paint one layer of Annie Sloan French Linen.

Be sure to paint the inner lip, as it usually shows on plants. Let dry.

Next, paint a second layer of Annie Sloan French Linen on in a stipple motion. This means pouncing a paint filled brush up and down to make a texture. You can do this with a round Annie Sloan brush like I did or a variety of other things like a sea sponge, foam pouncer or even crumbled up news paper. Let dry.

Then, you will dry brush a layer of Annie Sloan Old White all over your pot. I have a video that talks specifically about dry brush that you can find here. But basically you put a small amount of paint on a brush and sweep it around. This creates an aged look and brings out the texture you created with the stippling.

Next, you will create a wash of Annie Sloan Athenian Black. To create a wash, just add water and a bit of paint together, then stir. Brush your wash on your pot, then blot the excess off with a rag. This will create a texture and mimic the look of black wax (which can’t be used outdoors). Let dry.

You do not need to topcoat this, as the Annie Sloan paint will harden in the sun in about a week. Of course, you can take this idea and change up the colors and designs creating many beautiful, one of a kind pots on a budget.

Hope you enjoyed this tutorial!

20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
Originally Worn

• Kate MacGregor
    Kate MacGregor

Why not just use that stone effect spray paint?

• Originally Worn
      Originally Worn

You could (not sure how it holds up outdoors). There is always more then one way to do something 🤷‍♀️😘 and this way you can customize your colors more.

• GMS
    GMS

do you put a sealer over it? Will paint wash off it you put planter outside without something else on it after painting?

• Francisco
    Francisco

I can't find French linen on Amazon. They only have white linen and aged gray. Would aged gray be a good sub for French linen?

• Originally Worn
      Originally Worn

You can’t buy Annie Sloan paint on Amazon. You need to buy it from an independent stockist. One near you can be found at www.Anniesloan.com

if you don’t want to do that look for a taupe grey as a base color.

• Patty
    Patty

The planter is very pretty. Love the color.

• Mary Coakley
    Mary Coakley

Love your planter.just what.I needed to cover plastic does.it.have.to.be.Annie.Sloan?

• Originally Worn
      Originally Worn

Thanks! I have only ever used Annie Sloan on them, so I can’t say that another will do the same. But a good quality chalk type paint should be fine.