DIY Window Boxes – Window Flower Planters

$20

Window flower box planters add charm and character to your home. I have been dreaming about how to decorate my window planters for each holiday and season. However, before I get ahead of myself, I would like to share how to build window boxes quickly.

I knew I wanted to make my little studio so charming I would like to spend all my time out there. It had woodpiles, bags of Quickrete, empty flower pots, and tools on the porch and stacked up along the outside walls. It was an eyesore. See how to choose the best flowers for planters HERE.🌸

Window Flower Box

How to Build a Window Box

Mr. Kippi built me an Adirondak chair and an obelisk for my little secret garden next to my studio. I stood back and looked at the prototype obelisk and chair with the window and old rain gutters. At that moment, I knew the window needed some finishing touches to add beauty. I wanted everything to coordinate with other outdoor home improvement projects I have done, so the white window got natural wood shutters and a window box to add to the home’s curb appeal.

**Do you enjoy a beautiful garden and yard? Please join me 🌸 HERE for everything you need to create a beautiful garden/yard one project at a time. 

My inspiration for the window box was the chair and obelisk.

I searched for inserts for the window boxes. Those inserts would determine the size of the window boxes could be. I choose this window box insert since they had a drip tray. I found this cute window box made by my friend, Rachel, that I adore, so I wanted one too.

Supplies and Tools

• 1 x 6 x 8 pressure-treated lumber

• 5/4 deck board pressure-treated

• Nails 1.5″ galvanized (box assembly)

• Nails 3/4″ galvanized (trim installation)

• Glue Titebond

• Window box insert with a water reservoir

• Wood sealer

• Paintbrush

• Sandpaper (100)

• Screws 2.5″ cabinet screws with washers

• Chop saw

• Table saw

• Drill (3/8″ bit for drain holes and 1/8″ bit for pilot holes)

• Clamps 

• Nail gun

• Watering can

• Solar light

Planning 

The first thing you will need to do is measure your insert and write down the height, width, and length. Note: take the measurements just under the upper lip of the insert if yours has one. Cut your (1 x 6 x8) lumber to accommodate those measurements.

Box lumber cuts

Glue on ends

Nail ends in place

Glue the front panel

Nail front panel

Measuring to be sure the box is square

Adding the first piece to the bottom

Adding the second piece to form the bottom

Installing Trim

Taking measurements for trim

Use a chop saw to cut trim pieces

Glue on trim

Nail trim pieces in place

Finished DIY flower box with insert

Apply Water Seal

Drill drain holes in the bottom of the box

Three drain holes

Installing Window Flower Boxes

Install spacer

Holding the flower planter box to be sure of the placement

Marked and pre-drilled holes for mounting screws

Install hanging window planter with screws

Inserting the Flower Box Liner

The window flower boxes are on opposite sides of the studio, so they needed different plants since one was in the shade and the other one got a ton of sun (Florida sun). You can see how I choose the flower plantings HERE.

Watering the planter after I filled it with flowers and plants

You can see the area behind the obelisk; it needs a trellis with a garden planter and lanterns. You can see how we built those gorgeous trellises HERE. Please join our newsletter, so you don’t miss a thing. I will be sharing how to make shutters, Adoranik chairs, and the obelisk with solar lights.

The new custom rain gutter looks so much better. I did not notice how awful the rain gutters looked until I installed the window box and shutters. I called and ordered the rain gutter and downspout over the phone and had them delivered. It was the right decision to replace them.

My custom made chair with a fresh mojito

I created a DIY side table from a fallen tree. We also made some super groovy live edge hairpin leg tables you are going to love. You can see them in this post. The vintage style pot with the transfers can make one, too, in this earlier post.

Side table made from a fallen tree

DIY Chair, table, window box, and obelisk

If you love flower boxes and window box planters, you will enjoy building some and installing them on your home too.

You might also enjoy these other outdoor projects:

DIY Garden Trellis for your garden.

Thank you so much for our visit today.

See you soon,

Kippi

31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
Kippi | Kippi At Home

• Richelle Park
    Richelle Park

I love this but want to know if u did a project for the shutters on the sides?

• Mary McDonald
      Mary McDonald

She gave links a couple of times in her post and at the end of her post you can go to her blog or you can click on her profile pick to see all of her projects.

.....

• Susana Rogero-Brinkman
    Susana Rogero-Brinkman

How can I attach window boxes to brick.

• Jennie
    Jennie

I wanted to say how beautiful the planter box looks that’s me back to my childhood. I might do one for my windows.

I have empty dresser drawers, any ideas what I can use them for??? Really don’t want to throw them out.

• Bama Amy
      Bama Amy

Richelle, Unique + beautiful name btw! I love your little sitting area! I saved stumps, circles of wood from trees, even torn pieces to repair birdhouses to make them more unique + durable... I can’t wait to make the side table + I was thinking you could of added a slice of wood on the front of your window box to tie in the design of the table... It’s in my head like a lot of ideals... I was also thinking you could do the torch burn on your boxes + shutters. My son-in-law + daughter recently landscaped, designed, painted an Air B&B. He made the window boxes + torched the board/panel behind the chairs. I also have a wood burner so I’m thinking I burn something on my window box my son made for me...I just love everything you did + I need your neighbor to help me... soooo inviting + unique!