Painting kitchen cupboards with vinyl wrap removed?

+12

How do I prep and what type of paint can I use on kitchen cupboard doors with vinyl wrap removed?

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Mar 07, 2021

Hello,

If cabinets are clean and free from sticky then use either Chalk paint and sealer or use a Primer, Undercoat and then either a Satin or a gloss paint, or you could use a stain and then seal that with either Clear Wax or Antique Wax. Enjoy the journey!

• You will need to give them a good sanding and then prime them before painting them the color of your choice. A good latex enamel should work just fine.

• Dee Dee on Mar 07, 2021
    • Lightly sand to make sure the paint and primer will grip the wood. Prime with a good stain blocking primer like Rust-Oleum Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3.
    • KILZ Original Multi-Surface Primer/Sealer.
    • Zinsser Cover Stain Interior/Exterior Oil Primer Sealer.
    • Rust-Oleum Advanced Synthetic Shellac Primer.
    • Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Latex Primer.

Lightly sand again and then paint with a good acrylic paint from Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams. No sealing needed. Oh Behr Marquee is also good.

Do not try chalk paint, it will NOT last.

• Deb K Deb K on Mar 07, 2021

Hi Lesley, you can chalk paint them,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBzbzMIAlQQ

• Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Mar 07, 2021

Chalk paint will not last in a kitchen.

By vinyl wrap, do you mean melamine or what is called foil? If you have exposed the wrong particleboard or medium density fiber board, you can’t use a water-based paint on the cabinets - as they will “mushroom”.

• I’m unsure as to what you’re referring to by the vinyl wrap but I used a kit by Rust-Oleum called Cabinet Transformations to paint my cabinets. You can see how I did it here: https://www.flippingtheflip.com/2015/09/kitchen-cabinets-black.html

• Valspar cabinet enamel worked well for me.

• Annie Annie on Mar 09, 2021

You will have to remove any sticky residue from the old vinyl. Then a light sanding, then a coat or two of primer/sealer, then a washable kitchen paint.

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 09, 2021

Hi Leslie: Check this site for some help: https://www.hunker.com/12327895/how-to-paint-vinyl-kitchen-cabinets. I also found this discussion on this:

"They can be painted, but they have to be prepped correctly. Clean, clean, and clean some more. Use a TSP substitute to make sure there's no oil or grease on them. Light sanding to get the gloss off (or use a deglosser on the bodies, since they're not removable), and vacuum, tack cloth, and a second cleaning with TSP substitute will get the dust off. Then prime. Use a GOOD one. killz is good, Zinzer is better. Let it dry thoroughly. for that darkness of wood, 2 coats of primer is not a bad thing. After that, a very light sanding to get rid of any brush/roller marks, and then vacuum and tack cloth only this time. Then your paint. THIN coats. Thin will help prevent brush marks, and will help you get the "sprayed finish" look. If it's humid, give them an extra day or so to dry. After that's dried and cured (about a week, you can use the kitchen just fine during this time.), put at least 1 coat of poly on them. It'll help the finish hold up. There are brush on, spray on, and even rub on polys available. I like the spray for ease of use, but you really have to mask everything off that you don't want poly'd. And don't be less than 12" from what you're spraying, or you'll get drip marks which you'll need to brush out. Again, thin coats are your friend here. Let the poly dry a full day or more before re attaching the doors/drawerfronts. It'll help keep them from feeling sticky. Again, if it's humid, give an extra day or more for drying. You can still reface them later if you wish, but painting it, and doing it well, they'll look great for years."

Hope you find that helpful:)

Good luck

• Katrina Katrina on Mar 11, 2021

OMG, all that work people are getting you to do! Clean the doors with sugar soap, wear rubber gloves, and make sure there is no residue or grease on them. Once absolutely dry you can paint them with an all in one primer/sealer paint from Zinnser which dries in an hour and leaves a lovely washable, hardwearing finish. Use a nice dense foam roller and two thin coats. I did mine just after Christmas after hating my kitchen ever since I moved in 4 years ago and wished I had done it sooner. Good luck and don't break your back or your bank balance.

• Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Mar 13, 2021

Here is something you can read about on my blog, I painted my cabinets that had a shiny surface which I had to sand, they really came great, you can apply this to your cupboards since you remove the vinyl wrap.https://www.simplenaturedecorblog.com/5-tips-on-painting-laundry-room-cabinets-week-2/

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jun 19, 2021

Hi there,

Remove the sticky residue by chemical or sanding, then Prime the wood, then undercoat and top coat them.