How to DIY a Dutch Tulip Crate| Simple & Easy

$0

I love the vintage feel and the versatility of Dutch tulip crates. They can be used in so many ways for home decor: shoe storage, coffee tables, dining room tables, book storage. But I didn’t want to spend the money on one. So I went to the good old woodpile and found what I needed to DIY a tulip crate.

Why DIY A Dutch Tulip Crate?

Dutch Tulip Crates Are Versatile

Since I completed this DIY I’ve had it sitting on the coffee table, on the entryway floor with boots in it, and on the dining room table as a centerpiece. If you missed it I shared a post on ways to use a Dutch tulip crate. You can head over there if you want some ideas.

Oh, and on the pie safe! (Side note! The pie safe is no longer in the dining room. I can’t wait to show you where it is!!!)

Adds Warmth with Wood Tones

I love the way wood warms up spaces. My favorite warm tones are woods. I do oranges and reds in the Fall and around Christmas, but otherwise, I am all about wood tones. There is just something so comforting and cozy about a wooden bookcase, rocking chair, or table.

The same is true about the wood Dutch tulip crate. It was the perfect way to add warmth to the old white pie safe that used to be in the dining room.

Adds a Vintage Touch

This crate isn’t an authentic vintage piece. Although, the wood has been weathered from years and years of being outside. But that’s about it.

Even so, the piece adds some vintage charm because of what it is and the weathered appearance.

Vintage decor is also something that I prize in home décor. It’s imperfect and in its imperfections, it extends an offer that allows you to rest knowing that you’re not alone in your imperfections.

I love all things chippy, fraying, worn out, bent or busted. There are stories to be told. There is honesty about the life that has been lived.

Supplies

Wood

Circular saw

Nail gun

Hardware Cloth

Wire Cutters

Dimensions

This is something you can easily modify and change to fit your needs.

2 – 1×3 but to 24″ pieces

2 – 1×3 cut to 12″ pieces

3 – 1×3 cut to 13.5″ pieces

4 – 1.5×1.5 cut to 4.5″

Dutch Tulip Crate – Instructions

Step 1.

The first thing I did was find the wood I wanted for this project. This wood came from an old playset we had at my parent’s house when I was little.

Honestly, I didn’t even realize that until I just sat down to tell you all about this project. Makes me like it even more now haha!

Step 2.

Since this wood was from the playset I had to remove old rusty screws and cut them apart to get the pieces I wanted. But after I did that I cut the pieces to size.

Based on the size of the pieces of wood I also cut the hardware cloth.

Step 4.

After I had the hardware cloth cut I began clamping the frame (Both of the 24” pieces, both of the 12” pieces, and all 4 of the 1.5×1.5 pieces) of the tulip crate together and used our nail gun to nail it together.

Step 5.

When the frame was finished I placed the mesh on the bottom of the frame and began nailing the 13.5” pieces evenly spaced across the bottom. These three pieces created the foundation of the tulip crate and they also secured the mesh in place.

Helpful Hints

Pallets

If you don’t have a woodpile hanging around like me, then I recommend using pallets. Pallets wood makes great vintage/aged wood projects. I used 2 pallets for our boho picnic table last summer. I love pallet wood!

Gloves

When I was cutting the hardware cloth I learned that wearing gloves was the best decision. This is a small project, but even so hardware cloth can hurt a great deal with it scratches you.

I also got 2 blisters when I was cutting hardware cloth without gloves for the chicken coop. Never again! Gloves!!

Tulip Crate Conclussion

That’s it! I love it so much! I’m actually about to move it back to the front door to house our shoes as we run in and out of the house because it’s getting warm enough outside to do that! I’ll share that with you in my Spring Home Tour post.

Anyone else as excited about Spring as me?!

Pin for later!

There is so much fun going on over here that I simply can’t wait to share with you! Keep checking back! The Spring Home Tour post will be up in a couple of weeks and I have some exciting progress news about the girls' room!! We are trying to finish up our inside projects so we can make room in our days for outside projects in the garden and the patio!

Thanks so much for stopping by! Make sure you follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram so we can stay connected in between posts! Also, join the mailing list and never miss a thing!

Have a great week! XoXo

Open Your Doors,

Aliya

Popular Posts:

• How to Create A Simple Boho Table From Pallets
  • Create an Inviting Dining Room: Mixing Vintage and New
  • Barn Finds – How to Style Vintage Glass Bottles
  • Functional Storage for Copper Pots and Pans
  • My First Milk Paint Experience – Faux Fireplace Mantel

• Circular saw
  • Nail gun
  • Wood

23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
Aliya

• Short
    Short

Where is the pie safe now. No link.

• Aliya
      Aliya

After we hung the wallpaper and finished the closet in the girls' room we put it in there! Its chippy white paint over pink paint matches the chippy white paint over pink paint on the desk my great-grandpa built for my grammy when she was little. The room isn't finished, one more DIY, but I'm going to write a progress post and show everyone where it is in a couple weeks!

• Dot
    Dot

It looks nice and easy to make..you should probably make two. I would be a bit leery of using it on the floor with boots and shoes in it, and then moving it to the table for my dishes. Just a thought.

• Aliya
      Aliya

Girl!! You and I are on the same page!! I've thought about building another one. I think I might change the dimensions. Make it a little bit deeper! Have a great day!

• LaShonda Williams-Riddle
    LaShonda Williams-Riddle

Love the crate. What is the name of the potted plants?

• Aliya
      Aliya

It's rosemary!! It's not real, but we are about to start some seeds and I'm hoping to get some real rosemary in there soon!!