Can I use eggshell paint on bathroom walls?

+19

I have MDF panelling in my bathroom which utilises the wall itself as the panel insets. Can I paint everything, ie. both wall and MDF with the same paint and if so should I use eggshell or emulsion? Thanks

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on Mar 16, 2021

You can definitely use the same paint on those surfaces. In fact it will look best! You will want to use a latex paint designed for Kitchens and Baths. It will repel moisture the best.

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Mar 16, 2021

I would use eggshell on both of those surfaces. If you would like more information here is a good article for you to read:

https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/decorate/walls/a2603/types-of-paint/

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Mar 16, 2021

Hello Richard, I would use eggshell myself!

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Mar 16, 2021

You could use either the eggshell or the emulsion. The emulsion might hold up better in high humidity conditions:

• The surface of emulsion paint is hard and can be easily cleaned by washing with water. Exposure to water will not affect the colour or quality of emulsion paint.
    • Different application techniques can be used such as brushing, spraying, dip, flow, and roller.
    • The emulsion paint is less odorous and non-inflammable hence it is safe for our health
    • Emulsion paints are ideal for ceilings and walls because it is thick and easy to apply. They are humidity – resistant and hence can be easily used in steamy rooms like kitchens and bathrooms.
    • Emulsion paints use water as the medium which carries the colour pigment to the surface that is being painted. By the time the paint dries, the water evaporates completely. These paints have very little risks for humans and animals around because the only thing that evaporates and enters the air is hydrogen and oxygen.
    • Emulsion paints don’t dry, crack or fade in the sunlight.
    • Emulsion paints are less likely to attract the growth of mildew on it.
    • Emulsion paints hold well to almost any surface. It can also use without any pre-treatment.

ref:https://gharpedia.com/blog/emulsion-paint/

• William William on Mar 16, 2021

You can use any paint. Kitchen and Bath paint. Has mildewcides in it. Make sure you prime first.

• Em Em on Mar 16, 2021

Use a good primer on MDF. Emulsion paint is just water based paint. Eggshell is a type of sheen. Matte is flat, eggshell has a slight sheen, semi-gloss is tougher and stands up better to washing like areas in the kitchen that get wiped off often and gloss is shiny. So any latex/waterbased is fine for bathroom. Use a good primer first so you won't need so many coats of paint.

• Dee Dee on Mar 16, 2021

Make sure you prime first on MDF, it holds moisture. Then of course you can use eggshell finish. I went to Benjamin Moore and got an eggshell finish for my bathroom several years ago. It cleans well, hot showers do not make the paint peel. i love it.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Mar 17, 2021

Here's some more information about paint finishes.

https://www.behr.com/consumer/products/compare-interior-paint-sheens

• Yep Eggshell is great for bathrooms!

• Annie Annie on Mar 18, 2021

Eggshell is a bit on the flat side for a bathroom, I would use a "Satin" finish.

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 18, 2021

Hi Richard: Eggshell or satin are equally great choices. I would avoid an enamel at all costs :) My 1/2 bathroom is eggshell and the full bath is a satin as it gets more moisture than the 1/2 bath, but either will work.

Good luck

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on Mar 30, 2021

I like eggshell for a bathroom, but satin also works

• Libbie B Libbie B on Jun 30, 2021

You can! Just prime properly before you start!