Frame A Builder Mirror

$7

Have you ever removed a builder grade mirror? It’s not fun. Plus, the glue behind can ruin the drywall and removing that can be quite a hassle. When we decided to update our master bathroom on a tight budget I knew that I wanted to frame the mirror instead of removing it. The only issue in our bathroom is that the mirror has a beveled mirror frame and I was concerned about how the wood would stick.

We had scrap wood 1x4s on hand so that’s the wood I used. I started by measuring the mirror and then cutting each board to length with alternating 45 degree angles. Do not forget that you want your measurements to run correctly from tip to tip on the 45 degree angles.

Once we made the cuts, we laid out the frame in the garage to ensure it fit together- it did... yay!

Next we used the kreg jig (excellent tool for the price if you don’t have one) to create hidden pocket holes to secure each corner of the frame with a hidden screws.

Once the whole frame was together, I used wood filler to smooth any gaps and then painted the frame.

Finally we carried the frame upstairs and put a bead of special mirror glue on the whole frame. Once we set it place, I secured with painters tape for 24 hours before removing them!

Before: Here you can see the beveled frame

I started with some scrap wood we had on hand

Next we made all of cuts with opposing 45 degree angles

We laid it all out to check our cuts

Then we made pocket holes with the kreg jig

And secured the corners together with the hidden screws

Finally after applying some glue and waiting 24 hours - she looks great!

Another after photo

Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own

• Sharon
    Sharon

I would really love to do this to my builder grade mirror, but there are plastic clips along the top and I am afraid to take them off. They are too bulky to simply put the frame over...They would tilt the frame. I wanted to use some trim pieces I have and they are too thin to put notches in them to fit over the clips. Any ideas?

• Sharon
      Sharon

Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question!

• MARJORIE LUX
    MARJORIE LUX

It looks great! I live in an apartment, is this glue removeable by any chance? Do you know of any that might be? I suppose I could just do it, it is an upgrade.

I told my daughter that she will have to take me out of here in a box, never moving again!!

• Melinda
      Melinda

I saw where someone used stick on velcro to secure the frame to the mirror for a less permanent application. Probably on this site but I don't remember.

• Louise Ryder-Cousineau
    Louise Ryder-Cousineau

Looks great but what did you use to change the colour of the light fixtures, faucets & taps and shower doors from gold to black?