How can I get curtains in the middle of a traverse rod?

+9

I have two tall windows right next to each other; technically there are two little windows up top and two tall windows below them, but for the purposes of this question I'm treating the little windows at the top as though they're part of the tall windows themselves: so two tall windows on the front wall. Blinds are going bye-bye as this is a west-facing house and we need all the light we can get. I'd like to do traverse rods with cords so the curtains are relatively easy to open/shut as we'd shut them at night and open in the morning.

Because the two windows in the front are so close, it doesn't seem like there's room for two traverse rods (one for each window) - especially since the area between the two windows doesn't seem wide enough for two 40-something" panels.

After YouTubing quite a bit, it seems like you could perhaps leave some hooks in the center of a center-opening traverse rod and string it so that the side panels open/close to that middle pane (which stays stationary), if that makes sense. So - one rod that is center-opening which covers both windows, and has one curtain panel on each side PLUS one in the middle which would stay put and cover the trim from the two windows in between them (three total for the two sets of windows on the one wall, two regular panels on the window on the side wall). Can someone confirm/deny whether this sounds workable? TIA!

I'm open to other ideas as well, just haven't been able to come up with anything better so far. First pic is from the house listing, second is a mock-up of the curtains (forgive my lack of Paint skillz lol). We now have walnut-is colored laminate floor and eventually the oak trim will be painted white, not sure when (I know, I know ;-) The two windows in front don't have furniture in front of them now, either, and our wall is more beige than it looked in the first photo. Other walls and ceiling are white, not grey.

q how can i get curtains in the middle of a traverse rod
  • Deb K Deb K on Apr 14, 2021

Hi Cheryl, what a beautiful window! I think 1 traverse rod will do the trick for you, 2 & curtain panels, treat it like one huge tall window to keep it simple. It will look gorgeous with just 2 curtain panels!

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Apr 14, 2021

I think a third panel direction in the middle is a great idea! That would make it feel like one big window and really expand the feel of them. Beautiful room!

• Mogie Mogie on Apr 14, 2021

Personally I would go with one rod and treat it like one big window.

• Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Apr 14, 2021

I agree to treat this as though it is one large window, with curtains opening to each side. If you extend your traverse rod further from the sides of the windows, the curtains will then open to hang over the wall rather than blocking light from the windows. Don't forget that you should have about 2 - 2.5 times the width of the window on each side so that when the curtains are closed, they look generous and "full". If you extend the rod further from the edge of the window, this should then translate to your curtains being 2 -2.5x the width of 1/2 the rod.

• Terry Entwistle Terry Entwistle on Apr 14, 2021

I like the panel in the middle idea. You’ll have to play with the fullness to make it appropriate and blend in whether they are open or closed. If you treat it as one big window, it looks square (ish). If you treat those as two Windows , they are in line with the other Windows and makes the eyes go upwards.

• William William on Apr 14, 2021

The carriers on a traverse rod are made to overlap in the center. What you are want is to shorten the travel so they cover a stationary center curtain panel. It can be done by restringing the carriers and master rollers the distance of travel. Instead of the carriers overlapping in the center they can be placed apart the width of the center panel during the restringing process. You can't just leave some loose hooks in the center without restringing because the carriers will always want to overlap in the center and crush the center panel. Only way it may work is if your careful when closing the curtains and stopping when they contact the center panel. Similar to only partially opening or closing curtains.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Apr 14, 2021

you could run one rod long enough to cover the top windows as well as the bottom it makes the window look even larger they come with brackets to hold up the rod in the center of it so it won't sag or fall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0OImEdNzoY

• Dee Dee on Apr 15, 2021

I would put the rod up high and hang the curtains over both windows. The higher the rod, the bigger the window will look. Make sure you go out about 4 inches on the sides as well.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Apr 16, 2021

Hi! I would treat them as one window and I would put up a rod near the ceiling and extending several inches on each side of the windows. That way you would have maximum light coming in with the curtains open. Good luck!

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B003BRH64W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_5E55QA15W7KJ5BTFSS9G?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Betsy Betsy on Apr 18, 2021

Hi Cheryl: I, too, would treat them as one very tall window and get a rod to fit across both of them with about 3 or 4 inches extra on either side. You can buy drapes in just about any length and width. I'd also get a matching rod and curtain for the other window so that it looks compatible.

Good luck