How make island in front evergreens?

+10
  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jun 06, 2021

Here's how to landscape around evergreens:

https://www.gardenguides.com/115270-landscape-under-pine-trees.html

Visit your local nursery to find out what to plant under the trees if you wish to, the plants need to be acid loving & shade tolerant to thrive there.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jun 06, 2021

Do you have a picture of what type of an 'island' you would like to make around your evergreens? Do you want flowers, no plants, rocks, bricks, a border wall, etc. ?

If we see what you are aiming for, we could then better advise you of what would be the correct way to go about the project.

• I think it depends on what kind of island you’re looking to create, whether it’s with plants or rocks other types of landscaping. I’d suggest searching Pinterest for images to narrow down your ideas and go from there.

• Betsy Betsy on Jun 07, 2021

Hi Lov: You could use mulch or lava rocks. Then you could put potted flowers around the area, or plant flowers. I have evergreens in my front yard and have Cone flowers in front of them and some shorter flowers in front of those.

• Maura White Maura White on Jun 07, 2021

Do you want like a waterfall flowing with plants around it? Do you have a small pond in front of the evergreens? This forum may help a bit: https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=320132

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jun 07, 2021

I would go with either white rocks or mulch, depending on you taste. Make sure to use an edging to contain and keep out of the grass. Add a few items of interest like potted flowers, yard art, or a combination of them depending on your area.

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Jun 07, 2021

Kill the grass in that area and then add good quality soil. You can lay out a hose on the ground to design the shape you want. Then you can plant your island with whatever plants you choose.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jun 07, 2021

Hello,

Mark out the shape with a Garden Hose or a pile of stones, then when happy with it/ Dog it out with a Spade. Hope that helps.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jun 08, 2021

Hi! Decide how far out you want to bring the bed out in front of the evergreens. How shady is it? You want plants that will thrive in the light available. I would remove any grass within that area, put down landscaping cloth to keep the weeds from growing and once you have your plants in, place your groundcover (I like mulch). Enjoy!

• Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Jun 10, 2021

Lots of good ideas above.

Weed cloth or plastic is needed under the rocks.

• Deb K Deb K on Jun 10, 2021

Hello, mark out your design with spray paint, dig the edge so the shape is in, you can dig out the grass, or just put a heavy landscape fabric over it. Build an edge for it out of garden ties, wood, or blocks. then add your soil.

• Mogie Mogie on Jun 12, 2021
    How to Create a Shrub Island Landscape Berm

https://www.hunker.com/13713309/how-to-create-a-shrub-island-landscape-berm