Bag Dispenser

$0-10

In the last few months I worked with a lot of wood but these days all my thoughts revolve around fabrics and patterns. Although I occasionally like to try myself on more difficult sewing projects with purchased patterns, I rather like to design my own sewing patterns. There are hundreds of things that are only made of simple geometric forms and every sewing beginner will be able to make these without any problems. Pillowcases and tote bags are just the beginning. Within the same category fall my bag dispensers which are not only easy to sew, but also practical and a nice idea for a gift.
Finished bag dispenser.
Sewing pattern (photo)
Materials: stiff fabric and ca. 17,7 inch elastic band
First, I have folded the narrow strip of fabric right side on right and stitched it together. This will later be the handle of the bag dispenser.
Next I folded the upper edge of the bag dispenser (about 1,2 inch fabric) twice to the inside and stitched it down.
I sewed the bottom of the bag dispenser like a draw cord. As you can see on the photo above, I left a small opening for the elastic band. Later, I realized off course that this was totally nonsense and once again it has been confirmed that I cannot create a sewing tutorial without making a mistake somewhere.
Next, I have sewn the side of the bag dispenser, again right sides facing.
In order to thread the elastic band into the draw cord, I recommend to fasten a safety pin at one end of the elastic and use it to draw the elastic band through the draw cord.
After I threaded the elastic band, I now tightened the two ends of the elastic until the lower part of the bag dispenser was only a small opening and then sewed both ends of the elastic together, to keep the tension. Now you can shorten your elastic and sew up the opening of the draw cord.
All that now remains is the handle. The easiest way to turn the fabric strip inside out which we have already sewn together in step 1 is to temporarily close one end and then pull the fabric over the handle of a wooden spoon. Now some fast ironing...
... and the handle (folded a bit inwards at the ends) can be sewn on the inside of the bag dispenser. Ta-da!
If you like to see more of my projects and sewing patterns, just visited my blog ;-)

Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Ronja Lotte

• Toni Martin
    Toni Martin

I see you have AA Dutch flour canister. I'm Dutch too😁
  • Fiona
    Fiona

I intended to make one of these from a pant leg but I couldn't figure out how to "do" the elastic so I gave up. Thank you SO MUCH for your help with that. It was one of those "duh! I should have been able to figure that out." moments. THANKS AGAIN!!!