Tree Stump Tables by Somewhat Quirky Design

$60
I've seen many tree round tables around the web waves and I've always wanted to make one. It just takes a bit of sanding. And sanding. And sanding. And sanding. And sanding. And sanding. And sanding. And sanding. Well, you get it . . .
I chiseled off the bark. Not difficult at all. Some use a grinder for this.
These chainsaw marks are deep and numerous. That's why you have to sand so much. These pieces are about 2 feet across. A narrower stump would have relatively few saw marks. The thinner slice was better because it was cut with the intention of keeping it smooth.
I used some hairpin legs that I found at an estate sale on the thinner piece.
I used 5" casters under the thicker piece. If you look over in the upper right corner you can see where I shimmed it to make the table level. Well, mostly level.
This table was finished with 3 -5 coats of hemp oil, then 5 or 6 coats of a tongue oil mix.
The large table was covered in multiple coats of hemp oil (about 6 ounces total)
I don't know what kind of wood they are. My guess is that at least one of them is Elm.
The splits happened after I took off the bark then left them in the garage over the winter. Oops. At first I was upset. Now I love them. I hope that having them indoors in the moderate temps will keep the cracks stable.
I just wish I had a tiny bit more room for them! And had had a sunnier day to take pictures!
More specifics are available in the blog post. If you have questions please ask them in the comments section of the blog post. I will do my best to help you.
Somewhat Quirky

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 6 questions

Comments

2 of 84 comments
Next