How to Make a Sunflower Bird Feeder

$0.00

Easy DIY Birdfeeder Made from a Sunflower Head
In an attempt to enjoy the sunflowers a little longer I decided to cut all the heads off mine and make Sunflower Bird Feeders. Over the last few weeks we have had several days of high winds and it's toppled the sunflowers to the ground anyway. I hate to have them on the ground it just attracts mice, and I don't want any moving into my place for the winter, so I got out hubby's machete and cut them all down. Wow that was a task let me tell you, the stalks are like bamboo. My oldest son got a good laugh out of my wielding the weapon and decided I would do more damage than good so he completed the task for me. He's such a good kid.
I had several sunflower faces so I went around placing them in the crooks of trees at first and still had some left over. My shepards hook was empty since I took the hummingbird feeder down so I decided to make an easy DIY hanger for the sunflower heads. It took me all of 5 minutes to make and that included rounding up the supplies. The sunflower head can be changed out once the birds have picked this one clean, so no need to make a new hanger every time.
I kept a supply on my porch to refill with. Below is a diagram of how I rigged the whole thing. All you need is some twine, and a pair of scissors, it couldn't be easier.
1. Cut a piece of twine and tie it off in a circle make sure it's large enough to slip the stem into.
2. Cut and tie 6 twine pieces to the circle the length you need, mine are about 18".
3. Slip the sunflower into the circle, flip the head over so you are looking at the seeds, and pull the 6 strands evenly around the outside making a basket for it to nestle into.
4. Tie twine at the top and hang from a shepherd's hook.
An easy DIY Sunflower Bird Feeder. Your birds will thank you all winter long.

3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Dawn @ Creative Cain Cabin

• Bea16917723

Love it; I've lost all my sunflowers :-( I used to have dozens in the back of my yard/garden area. Wild,, and would reseed themselves from season to season. I loved them, I have lots of pictures and gave away many boquets :-) When the blooms started to dry, I'd see birds hanging from the stems and grabing the seeds. It was so fun to watch.

• Peachez

This so simple yet absolutely brilliant at the same time!!