SK's Black Rust and Zinc

7K Views
If this piece of furniture could talk, the tales it could tell!
Because of the size and details, it is obvious this piece started out in a royal home. Ancestors at one time whom were noblemen and strong women and had every comfort which life could afford them.
  • sk s black rust and zinc, painted furniture, woodworking projects
Wars happened. Secrets. Deceit. Whispered stories of jewels hand stitched into hems of petticoats. Food wrapped in quilts. Furniture mysteriously disappearing before the siege. Only to appear in families possession later.
And through all these generations, this piece remains. A reminder of what family cherished. Once a gift given to a wife, by a beloved husband, to contain her wardrobe.
Later it became a lauder, to store food. And now 200+ years down through time, it now sits in my humble cottage. With all of it’s tales to tell, she remains silent.
This sweet little daydream was composed by Heidi Alcorn of Pine Lodge Labradoodles, Silverton, Oregon. http://pinelodgelabradoodles.com/
Thanks Heidi for your imagination. sk
What is it about old pieces of furniture that draws us to them? Why do we feel a connection? That emotional pull at the heart?
I propose to you it is family. We all long to belong. To know about those before us. To know we have ancestors which bore their lot in life with dignity and beauty.
Having an old piece reminds us we are part of a greater plan. We are part of a beautiful chain, called family.
Two hundred plus years? Maybe not. But....
True confession… I've only been acquainted with this piece for a month or two. We met at a Goodwill store. This poor piece had suffered the humiliation of being a bedraggled piece which had been marked down, and marked down and marked down because she had gone unsold, unwanted far too long. I picked her up for $7. That is seven dollars. Yes, a ridiculous price for her!
Using antique damask and diamond tissue paper, I paper the door panels, using plain old watered down white glue. So much cheaper than decoupage paste. The paper is so fragile, I use care as I attempt to get the bubbles to dissipate.
Using an antiquing medium the color of burnt sienna and chocolate I build layers of history.
As the paper dries, I start to sand back showing her underlying beauty and years of care and wear.
The top cornice is a beautiful eye catcher and is solid wood with a solid wood crown.
Using iron paint from Modern Masters Metal Effects Paint and putty, I create a damask 3-D focal point. When it is sanded and carved it will then rust.
The door and side panels are also decorated with putty carvings and iron paint. I start adding the rusted door knobs and keys.
We are at that point of ? I will be waxing and polishing when I have decided enough is enough. Although I have started painting rusted diamonds on the interior.
The Graphics Fairy has added the needed age for my old fellow. Thanks Graphics Fairy.
From humble beginnings a crown jewel is revealed.
Thanks to Carole Maire Farmen, a teacher, my photographer, an artist, a writer and my friend.
Thanks for visiting. sk

Suggested materials for this project:

Ask a Question