"Built-In" Cupboard W/ a Microwave Cubby!

Remember when we got rid of the microwave over the stove-top? We added a Rustic Range Hood...but where was the microwave going? Right here! We opened up cabinets and created a 'built-in' cupboard look - adding an easy Microwave Cubby for a counter-depth microwave! This is one of my top 5 Favorite DIY's that we've ever done...
built in cupboard w a microwave cubby, appliances, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, organizing, storage ideas, woodworking projects
Here's a little BEFORE shot! That's a whole lotta white cabinets don't 'cha think? :)
Ever so much warmer with the cabinets opened up ...
We got rid of the doors and shelves--then added breadboard to all sides of the inside of the cabinets and the backsplash! (We didn't tear down the subway tile-we glued the breadboard right over the tile)
We added a wood countertop ( This post isn't a tutorial for the countertop) The wood countertop is absolutely NOT necessary for this project- Mike joined hardwood and made an edge and we placed the wood countertop right over the granite...
We measured the microwave adding a little room on 3 sides or ventilation - then using 5/8" Plywood, Mike cut out the sides and the bottom of the cubby...
He put it together and installed it using wood screws...
While we were at it, we added another divider to create a place for cookbooks...
He cut 1x2 Pine strips for moldings and attached them with a brad nailer...
Then we painted everything in a coat of Irish Mist paint...
The microwave is a Counter Depth Model -which takes up less space than the extra large one we had before...
Remember the Before...
The kitchen looks so much warmer now...(complete tutorial on All Things Heart and Home) Thanks so much for having a look around my friends xo
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 09, 2018 11:04 PM - More info
All Things Heart and Home

3 questions on this project
  • Dpo1826113
    Mar 03, 2018

how does your microwave cubby allow for enough air

flow behind it? That's necessary, you know.

• Suzy3a
    Mar 01, 2018

My very small wall oven went out and the cooktop was on it's way out too so I got a regular stove. I removed the wall oven, built a shelf and put my microwave and toaster oven in there. My problem is the microwave cuts off after about 12 minutes and has to cool down. Do you have an issue with yours over heating being in a confined space? I put a vent in the side of the cabinet but it didn't help much.

• Lawrence Dagna
      Mar 27, 2018

Try adding an exhaust fan to the vent to remove the built up warm air. The best would be one that has a thermostatic control, so that it will turn on automatically when the temperature reaches that which you set as the turn-on point and then off once it cools the area down.

• Rita Tantalo
    Feb 28, 2018

I too, love the open cupboards, but 1 problem. How do you keep your dishware etc. from getting dusty?

• Gva12487233
    Mar 04, 2018

Open shelving is lovely, but I would hesitate to do it because of amount of dust and grease that can accumulate.

Your kitchen looks great.

• Vicky Corey
    Mar 12, 2018

I love the difference it made. I'm also a fan of open shelves. My Daughter in Love took her doors off before it became a trend and she still loves it. I'll let you in on a little secret, even if you have doors that are closed, if there are dishes behind them, unless you use them every day, they still get dusty so I say go with what you love! Gorgeous makeover!!