"Built-In" Cupboard W/ a Microwave Cubby!

Remember when we got rid of the microwave over the stove-top? We added a Rustic Range Hood...but where was the microwave going? Right here! We opened up cabinets and created a 'built-in' cupboard look - adding an easy Microwave Cubby for a counter-depth microwave! This is one of my top 5 Favorite DIY's that we've ever done...
built in cupboard w a microwave cubby, appliances, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, organizing, storage ideas, woodworking projects
Here's a little BEFORE shot! That's a whole lotta white cabinets don't 'cha think? :)
Ever so much warmer with the cabinets opened up ...
We got rid of the doors and shelves--then added breadboard to all sides of the inside of the cabinets and the backsplash! (We didn't tear down the subway tile-we glued the breadboard right over the tile)
We added a wood countertop ( This post isn't a tutorial for the countertop) The wood countertop is absolutely NOT necessary for this project- Mike joined hardwood and made an edge and we placed the wood countertop right over the granite...
We measured the microwave adding a little room on 3 sides or ventilation - then using 5/8" Plywood, Mike cut out the sides and the bottom of the cubby...
He put it together and installed it using wood screws...
While we were at it, we added another divider to create a place for cookbooks...
He cut 1x2 Pine strips for moldings and attached them with a brad nailer...
Then we painted everything in a coat of Irish Mist paint...
The microwave is a Counter Depth Model -which takes up less space than the extra large one we had before...
Remember the Before...
The kitchen looks so much warmer now...(complete tutorial on All Things Heart and Home) Thanks so much for having a look around my friends xo

COOLOOdirect 10 Pieces Natural Pine Wood Rectangle Board Panel for Arts...
All Things Heart and Home

• Rita Tantalo

I too, love the open cupboards, but 1 problem. How do you keep your dishware etc. from getting dusty?

• Teresa

and keep your doors if you do this, it knocks thousands off your real estate value if you ever sell!

• Suzy3a

My very small wall oven went out and the cooktop was on it's way out too so I got a regular stove. I removed the wall oven, built a shelf and put my microwave and toaster oven in there. My problem is the microwave cuts off after about 12 minutes and has to cool down. Do you have an issue with yours over heating being in a confined space? I put a vent in the side of the cabinet but it didn't help much.

• Ginger the farm gal

Probably a convection oven they don't get hot on the out side and has a fan within. But you could drill holes in the side of the cubby.

• Dpo1826113

how does your microwave cubby allow for enough air

flow behind it? That's necessary, you know.

• Vicky Corey

I love the difference it made. I'm also a fan of open shelves. My Daughter in Love took her doors off before it became a trend and she still loves it. I'll let you in on a little secret, even if you have doors that are closed, if there are dishes behind them, unless you use them every day, they still get dusty so I say go with what you love! Gorgeous makeover!!

• Pamala McBrayer

I want my microwave off the actual counter, but because of rotator cuff and neck injuries, no way is a microwave above the range a safe option for my kitchen. I need to build a wall cabinet that puts it about chest level, not a reach UP.