Creating Faux Stained Glass With Acrylic Paint and Glue!

$5

Create beautiful faux stained glass the simple way! I love this method of mixing paint and glue to create something unique. This easy stained glass project is even more fun with a good pattern.
Faux Stained Glass Majestic Peacock
Faux Stained Glass Majestic Peacock
One of my specialties is creating unique patterns like the Majestic Peacock Pattern used in this tutorial. Be sure to click on the link at the bottom of this post for list of supplies and free pattern!
creating faux stained glass with acrylic paint and glue, crafts, painting
Start with a thrift store framed picture. Remove the picture and frame. You will be working with the glass. Draw out your pattern in the same size as your sheet of glass.
Spray the glass with clear acrylic spray. This is important as it gives the paint and glue something to adhere to. Place the glass over top of your pattern.
Take the bottle of white glue and dump just a small bit out so that there is room to add color to it. Add about a teaspoon of black acrylic paint and stir it with a wooden dowel. Add enough black paint to make a solid color. You will be surprised, but it doesn’t take a ton of paint to change your white glue to black. Then put the glue nozzle back on. The glue is now ready for the next step.
Carefully squeeze the glue onto the glass, following the lines of your pattern. Try not to have shaky hand syndrome like I do, but even if you do, it can be fixed.
Once all of the lines have been drawn in, allow it to sit overnight to dry completely. Once it is dry, you can go over it with a craft blade and correct any shaky lines or errors.
For the next step, use a small muffin tin to mix up your colors. Use about a tablespoon of clear glue to one or two drops of acrylic paint. You will be surprised at how easy it is to add pigment to clear glue.
Use a blunt paintbrush and add your colors where you want them. Put it on thickly and be sure to get your colored glue all the way up to the edges of the black lines. Take your time and if you see any air bubbles in the glue, use a toothpick to pop them.
For a variegated marbled look, add a color to each side of a section and push them together with your brush, mixing them in the middle. Allow the entire project to dry overnight.
The final step is to do some touch-up with the sharpie pen on the leading where paint may be overlapped. Finish it with a coat of clear acrylic spray sealant in order to protect it. Beautiful sitting in your windowsill or hanging on the wall! See the link at the bottom of this post for the full project details and free pattern.
Susan Myers

• Ticia

I never heard of clear glue and would be interested to know if the white glue would work.

• Lou

Thank you, I have an original to our 1947 house window that I would like to dress up to hang outside.

• Judith Conel

I would like to try this on clear glass vase. I think it will work. I am in Mexico and can not get transparent paint so you have answered my question on this. Thank you.