Get Rid of Lime Deposits using Eco-Friendly Products

Get rid of lime deposits using 2 items from your pantry ~ vinegar and salt.
Befores and Afters
Befores and Afters
Lime deposit on kitchen faucet ~ before
Lime deposit on kitchen faucet ~ before
Kitchen Faucet After
Kitchen Faucet After
slather on the salt and vinegar
slather on the salt and vinegar
Mary Beth

• Sharon Worley

Do you think that this can be used on granite counter tops?

• Cflyncker

RE: 2012/10/ecp-friendly-cleaning-tips-using-heinz-cleaning-vinegar (kitchen faucet with lime deposit) Q: How much vinegar and how much salt?

• Mary Beth

Put 1 to 2 tablespoons of salt in a small container. The amount of salt used/needed depends on the amount of lime you need to get rid of, then add a splash of vinegar, just enough to make a paste.

• Cflyncker

Thank you for your reply. Can't wait to try it!

• Karen

I have a hard water stain (from the ice maker) running down the door of my stainless refrigerator. Do you think this would remove it or harm the finish? One writer talked about etching coffee travel mugs -I'm afraid.

• Mary Beth

Hi Karen - I highly doubt that the vinegar would etch your stainless steel refrigerator as I've been using it for years on some of my stainless steel appliances and have never had that occur BUT to be on the safe side I would try some other options first. Try oil - good old coconut oil, olive oil, or vegetable oil. Rub it into the spot gently using a soft cloth (I like to use a flannel rag for purposes like this). This may take a while to loosen up the stain so be patient. :) Also, as I was writing this it occurred to me that your refrigerator may have a coating on it that wouldn't react well with the vinegar so I would go with the safe, oily option. Please let me know if this works for you.

• Shelbie Busam Kelsey

if that doesn't work, I use Rubbing Alcohol on mine and it works like a charm

• Lee Pac

Take care when using vinegar on stainless steel faucets and dispenser parts as it will etch the surface if let sitting too long.
  • James

how much vinegar and how much salt

• Twi12790313

The pic has either a tsp or Tbl measuring spoon, the bowl it sets in is small, probably 1 cup.
  • Susie Dewey Cornwell

I have a copper faucet can I use on that?
  • Pam Rouse

Can I use Vinegar and salt on my bath tub? I have hard well water which leaves mineral deposits.
    Thank you,
    Pam
    Beaver Creek,oregon
  • Jea27276689

what's the recipe of salt and vinegar?
    • Jenny Birch

a microfiber cloth to wipe and dry after use takes seconds and cost nothing
    • Barbara

click on the Http: address and it will lead you to it
  • Elizabeth White

Will this work on glass in shower stall or will it scratch?
    • Ardale

I don't know is salt will scratch your glass shower doors or not but I use plain white vinegar to clean my faucets and shower heads and it works great without the salt. For shower doors and faucets just take paper towels or newspaper and soak them in vinegar then simply stick them on your glass surface and let them sit for awhile while you do something else. If your paper dries out you can put some white vinegar in a spray bottle and spritz your paper to keep it wet. After about 30 minutes or so take your paper down and rinse your shower doors then dry them off and you'll be amazed how they shine. For your shower head just take a Ziploc bag and rubber band and fill your bag with white vinegar just until it covers the holes on your shower head. Let soak as long as you want then just take an old took brush to lightly brush over the holes while your rinse your shower head. For your faucets just place paper towels soaked in white vinegar on your facets and let sit for about 30 minutes. Spritz your paper towels with vinegar just to keep them wet while your waiting then just remove your paper and wipe down with a damp cloth.

• Cha29519278

how much vinegar and how much salt
  • Eva Beatty

wh is the difference between cleaning vinegar and regular vinegar?

• Mary Beth

Cleaning vinegar has a higher acidity level and that makes it approximately 20% stronger than regular vinegar.

• Szeedeese

I found the cleaning vinegar to be on the isle with all of the cleaning products not with the regular vinegar at our Walmart.
  • Tmd29414232

absolutely