Small Kitchen Ideas: Tension Rod Above the Sinks and Open Shelving

$5

The kitchen in my rental apartment was all white and not all that interesting when I moved in. So one of the first thing I did was to remove the sliding doors above the sink to create some open shelving. It's a great spot to add some color with dishes. To keep my precious counter space free, I installed a tension rod above the sink for my dish towel and to keep my sponges - and by using red accessories, it also became another place to add some color.
I know that electrical outlet isn't to code, but I have no choice to use it - it's the only one in the entire kitchen and the landlord just won't do anything about changing it.
I also added a deep blue accent wall to really bring in some color - I actually covered the wall with temporary wallpaper before painting so I wouldn't have to repaint the wall when I move out. But another option would have been to use this navy colored temporary removable wallpaper - it's not exactly the color I wanted but it's very close.
You can watch the whole kitchen transformation in the video below.

15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
15 Perfectly Round Tables
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
Engineer Your Space

• Kathy

can the hinges be painted?

• Teresa Holli

Spray paint them. That’s what I’ve done on a rental property. There’s such a variety of colours to choose from.

• SheilaFlorida

I don't know how much the removable wallpaper cost - but wouldn't it be just as easy and cheap to repaint white when you leave? I love the fabric and glass backsplash and I'm going to do the tension rod above my sink.
    • MK McDonald

On the other hand, it may be painted when/if you move out, anyway. All my landlords painted after I left each time. Where I’m from, it’s pretty standard so if you ask your landlord if he’ll be doing the walls anyway, when you leave, then you have some freedom but I agree about that deep blue colour being a b**ch to cover up. It looks great though!

• Jeanette Nicole

Where did you get the little hanging buckets?

• Lyn

The landlord should pay you to leave the things in place when you move out. Such a big improvement. I love the way it looks. Such smart ideas!

• Bmi32050820

That outlet is a real hazard. Find the code that it breaks and show your landlord. He is responsible for moving it. Bm