Small Kitchen Ideas: Tension Rod Above the Sinks and Open Shelving

$5

The kitchen in my rental apartment was all white and not all that interesting when I moved in. So one of the first thing I did was to remove the sliding doors above the sink to create some open shelving. It's a great spot to add some color with dishes. To keep my precious counter space free, I installed a tension rod above the sink for my dish towel and to keep my sponges - and by using red accessories, it also became another place to add some color.
her brilliant idea using a dollar store tension rod, kitchen design, organizing, shelving ideas, urban living
I know that electrical outlet isn't to code, but I have no choice to use it - it's the only one in the entire kitchen and the landlord just won't do anything about changing it.
I also added a deep blue accent wall to really bring in some color - I actually covered the wall with temporary wallpaper before painting so I wouldn't have to repaint the wall when I move out. But another option would have been to use this navy colored temporary removable wallpaper - it's not exactly the color I wanted but it's very close.
You can watch the whole kitchen transformation in the video below.

Engineer Your Space

• Kathy

can the hinges be painted?

• Teresa Holli

Spray paint them. That’s what I’ve done on a rental property. There’s such a variety of colours to choose from.

• SheilaFlorida

I don't know how much the removable wallpaper cost - but wouldn't it be just as easy and cheap to repaint white when you leave? I love the fabric and glass backsplash and I'm going to do the tension rod above my sink.
    • MK McDonald

On the other hand, it may be painted when/if you move out, anyway. All my landlords painted after I left each time. Where I’m from, it’s pretty standard so if you ask your landlord if he’ll be doing the walls anyway, when you leave, then you have some freedom but I agree about that deep blue colour being a b**ch to cover up. It looks great though!

• Jeanette

Where did you get the little hanging buckets?

• Lyn

The landlord should pay you to leave the things in place when you move out. Such a big improvement. I love the way it looks. Such smart ideas!

• Bmi32050820

That outlet is a real hazard. Find the code that it breaks and show your landlord. He is responsible for moving it. Bm