Small Kitchen Ideas: Tension Rod Above the Sinks and Open Shelving

$5

The kitchen in my rental apartment was all white and not all that interesting when I moved in. So one of the first thing I did was to remove the sliding doors above the sink to create some open shelving. It's a great spot to add some color with dishes. To keep my precious counter space free, I installed a tension rod above the sink for my dish towel and to keep my sponges - and by using red accessories, it also became another place to add some color.
her brilliant idea using a dollar store tension rod, kitchen design, organizing, shelving ideas, urban living
I know that electrical outlet isn't to code, but I have no choice to use it - it's the only one in the entire kitchen and the landlord just won't do anything about changing it.
I also added a deep blue accent wall to really bring in some color - I actually covered the wall with temporary wallpaper before painting so I wouldn't have to repaint the wall when I move out. But another option would have been to use this navy colored temporary removable wallpaper - it's not exactly the color I wanted but it's very close.
You can watch the whole kitchen transformation in the video below.
Engineer Your Space

• Lori

About the electrical outlet---the landlord has no choice it's against code and a fire hazard, called code enforcement or your local fire department for help. Legally he has to change it

• Terrie

You could camouflage and water protect .. buy a shadow box frame... make a notch for the cord, decorate it and hang over the outlet. It would keep it dry.

• Kathy

can the hinges be painted?

• SheilaFlorida

I don't know how much the removable wallpaper cost - but wouldn't it be just as easy and cheap to repaint white when you leave? I love the fabric and glass backsplash and I'm going to do the tension rod above my sink.