Homeology.co.za
Homeology.co.za
  • South Africa

DIY Stamped Tile Splashback

Sometimes life throws you some old tiles and then you have 2 options: live with it, or paint and stamp it! Use this very simple stamping technique to create stunning tiles in a colour of your choice.
diy stamped tile splashback, how to, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design, painting
My kitchen had been in desperate need of a tiled splashback because unlike most old homes, I wasn’t blessed with horrid old kitchen tiles. In fact, I don’t have ANY tiles in my house – do you see another DIY coming on?
I first made a frame of Masonite and pine and then proceeded to tile it using No More Nails. DON’T do this – it’s not a good idea. After I had primed, stamped and sealed the panel, the tiles popped off one by one when I picked it up. So starting again, here is the correct method!
Cut 16mm chip board to the size you want your panel to be, minus 2.5mm on all 4 sides. This will ensure that the tiles hang over the wood a little bit to create a nice shadow line. Fix 2 mirror fixings to the back – it’s easier to do this first otherwise you risk breaking a tile or 2.
Use grout to fill in the spaces and let it dry for a couple of hours. Prime the tiles with a standard tile primer – there are many brands on the market – and then let it cure for 24 hours.
Then STAMP:
I used a interior water-based PVA for the pattern and it worked beautifully. When you stamp the tiles, use a sponge roller to apply the paint lightly to the stamp. Test the stamp on a loose tile first so that you can get the feel for it. Now systematically stamp away! Take your time to place the stamps squarely on the tiles.
And if it doesn’t stamp properly first time round, you can re-stamp it by again positioning it carefully over the first stamp and pressing down.

Homeology.co.za

• Vicki white

Where do you buy the stamp? This is absolutely beautiful! !!!!!!!!

• Homeology.co.za

Hi Vicki, thanks for your comment! We are in the process of redesigning the stamp to make it easier to ship internationally - please go to www.homeology.co.za and subscribe to our mailing list, then I can send you the information as soon as we're ready with the next batch in April. Thanks! Germarie @1 result is available, use up and down arrow keys to navigate.

• Joanie

I like your pitcher on the shelf.....gorgeous antique?