What Do You Do When You Are Stuck Inside? I Redid My Island!

$1200.00
Advanced

A few weeks ago when the weather was so horrible and we were stuck inside for what seemed like days, I decided to paint my kitchen island red!
To be perfectly honest, we were already planning to redo it and had even started on it.
The below picture is how it was before we began.That big cutting board is covering up a large hole where the stove top used to be. (You can see my beautiful stove peeking out in the picture in the very back) If you are interested in how we constructed the hood for it, you can read about that here: http://www.hometalk.com/6870969/how-we-built-our-stove-hood-for-almost-free
We started by removing the sets of drawers on either end. I hated to get rid of them but this island was almost 13 feet long! It was too long top be efficient. The raised bar was also not functional as it was only about 10" deep.
I love to bake and I wanted a big, flat surface to spread everything out on!
We added raised panels to the ends after having to move the outlets, took off the old bar and counter and added farm legs and an apron all the way around.
I painted it Daring Red, which is from Ace Hardware in their Clark and Kensington brand. Then I used a dark wax over it, which takes the red down a little. The doors below show the unwaxed in the right and the waxed on the left.
I have wanted carrera marble for ever. It is great to bake on and it is also gorgeous! I know there are folks who say it isn't practical for a kitchen, but after researching it a lot I decided to go for it! I am absolutely in love with how our island turned out!
It is a lot more user friendly and I grin every time I go into the kitchen! To get a more detailed explanation of how we did everything please visit the blog!
View from kitchen side
View from bar side

25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Caroline

• Louise Hammerl
    Louise Hammerl

What is "dark" wax and where did you get it? I love what you did.....did you clean the wood with something before you painted it?

• Rose Broadway
      Rose Broadway

The dark wax can be used in so many ways. Every time I wax my huge entertainment center and my china cabinet I use the dark. Now they look "younger" than their real age, which is about 30 yrs old!