DIY Nightstands: IKEA LACK Table Hack

On one of my very frequent trips to IKEA, I found inexpensive LACK tables that were the perfect color to work as nightstands in my bedroom . The only problem was that they were too low for my bed. At $13 each, it was worth trying to find a way to make them work. My solution? Cut the legs of one table and stalk another table on top it!
diy nightstands ikea lack table hack, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
This is a very simple project that took about an hour - all you need is a miter box and hack saw, a speed square, some masking tape and "Liquid Nails" glue.
Cover the leg with masking tape where you want to make the cut (this will protect the finish) and use a speed square to mark each side of the leg where you will cut. I made my bottom legs 4" tall.
Use a miter box and hack saw with a fine tooth blade to make the cut. After I screwed the bottom legs to the bottom table top, I used liquid nails to glue the legs of the top table to the top of the bottom table.
And just like that, I was able to have my nightstands that are the prefect height and color for my bedroom, all for just $26 each!
You can see the steps in a bit more detail in the video (skip to 3 mins 20 secs) or on my blog.
Engineer Your Space

• Lynn Taylor

I love this! For a kids bedroom you could stack several (without cutting them down) on both sides of their bed and then use a board across the top for a bridge to display stuffed animals or whatever they collect.

• Karen Daniels

Love this! I’m off to ikea :D