Great Home Painting
Great Home Painting
  • Morrisville, PA

How to Remove Rust Stains From Tub

Although this is not our area of expertise, we thought we'd pass on this information that was tested by our employees. They are always talking about their own home repairs and we thought this was an interesting topic and solution.
Rust in the bathroom is usually the result of two related situations. Either iron-containing metals in your bathroom fixtures have begun to rust OR your mineral-rich water supply
If this is a recurring problem and the staining is chronic, there may be no way to remove the stain as it may have etched itself into the porcelain.
Most staining is not that bad and can be successfully removed if you know how but regular toilet bowl cleaners or powdered chlorine based cleansers will not solve this problem.

• Shannivia

So if the stain doesn't come off what to do next. Can I paint over it

• Bre3049407

How to remove rust from tub

• AG

How to remove rust from a tub

• Jessica minnick

How do you get stain rust out of your bathtub??🤔🤔

• Lyn

Soak a rag in vinegar and place in a dry tub for a few hours or overnight. It will wipe clean when the vinegar has soaked long enough.

• Jessica minnick

Why is there rust in the bottom of my bathtub and how do I get rid of it??

• Cat4442593

Where is your solution to removing g rust from bathtub ? Nothing is shown here at all.

• Libby Jones

Click the little blue dots to expand the article.

• Elizabeth Zizo

I have rich and hard water. My shower was nasty and I wish I had taken a pic. I found lime-a-way toilet cleaner at the dollar store and though I had to use it several times(my shower was bad) it took the rust stains and calcium build up right off the shower pan and walls.

• K

It said: ...we found 2 things that really worked: Clorox2 and Hydrogen Peroxide. The Clorox2 worked best and required less scrubbing. Just pour either product on the stain and let it sit. Then scour gently with a damp sponge and rinse. If the stains are really bad you may have to repeat the process twice.

• Rondi

Murinatic acid takes it off instantly, but wear a mask and rinse it off well with cold water. Open a window if you can.

• BethMiller

Rust on the tub, how to remove ?

• Kathy

Do you know how to get rust off white brick?

• Cre5605900

Try Rid-O-Rust look online to find a dealer near you.

• Kar385293

Cream of tartar and peroxide mixed to a paste. Apply to stain and let sit for at least 15 mins. Use an old toothbrush to scrub and rinse. Repeat till stain is gone

• Patricia Lucas

Please share the tip for removing rust stains caused by mineral-rich water in sinks and tubs.

• Reb6867270

The ONLY thing that works for me is "The Works" Toilet bowl cleaner, I have well water and the stains are fierce, cuts them immediately.

• Lia Liz Noland Rohrbach

They said clorox 2 or peroxide are the only things that worked. Clorox2 worked the best

• Dana

I use to live in Florida and we had nasty rust stains in the wet areas. Nothing would remove it like the sno bowl, or other commode cleaners. NOTHING. Not unless you scrubbed your fingers to the bone. I used all kinds of other cleaners. I doubt the effect of peroxide. You can pick up cheap cleaners at your local cheap markets. Little goes a long way. Sorry to be a doubting Thomas but I know from experience on rust stains.

• Cac10897772

If you have to scrub, use a pumice stone. It makes the scrubbing easier and doesn't scratch the porcelain.

• Marsha Shannon

We have iron water for over 50 years and we've tried multiple products and scribbing, I discovered Works is the best pour or spray it on, rinse off for tub, I let it sit in the toilet and it actually sparkles when I flluss later

• Astrid Turner

You can also use 600 grit sandpaper for brownish stains in your tub as well as your toilet. Of course be sure to check on a non visible are first as this trick might scratch some ceramic surfaces

• Judy H.

Does Clorox 2 also remove the yellow hard water stains?

• Joan Luginbuhl-Philp

Use Sno bowl or The Works toilet bowl. Get the thin kind. Works on showers when nothing else did.

• Judy H.

Wow! Thanks! I used to use Sno-bowl years ago, but haven't seen it around for a long time! I'm on the hunrt!

• Bobbiejean

How do you remove old glass tiles from the walls

, It is a ugly pink tile n it is glass I want to remove it how do I do this
  • Lindaree O

I have water stains where the water faucet drips. Brownish stains not rust. Will this work?

• Shawna Bailey

Yes

• Pas17491360

Try vinegar.

• Andi Risley

Take a paper towel and soak in vinegar. Let it sit for an hour or so...not too long if you like the finish on any fixtures that are close by. It should remove those stains that aren't rust. I can't remember if it worked on rust or not. You may have to do it a couple of times or for a bit longer. 😊

• Pat6901438

My favorite natural cleaner is 2 cups of vinegar, 4 cups of water and 2 T of dawn. I have a spray bottle with this mixture in each bathroom, by my washer and in the garage. Also, mix this up (double or triple the receipe) and put the liquid in a very large ziplock bag and put in 18 clean white wash cloths. Walmart has the clothes 18 for 3.00. Put the cloths on a swiffer broom. I scrub my floors and baseboards. The best cleaner......

• Judy H.

Do hardwater (yellow stains) react to the Clorox 2 as well as the rust stains do?

• Shawna Bailey

Couldn't hurt to try

• Cynthia H

We have very hard water. When I have stains in my sink, I add oxy to hot water and let it soak. By the time the water cools off,it rarely needs more than a quick going over with a sponge and rinsing. If you use a mat in your sink, soak it too.
    • Judy H.

Which oxy product do you use Cynthia?
    • Judy H.

I have checked around with some professional plumbers, builders and bathtub manufacturers. If you have porcelain or enamel tubs, sinks, whatever. Yellow stains due to hard water cannot be removed. Trying any kind of powdered cleanser or bleacher will damage the surface attracting more of the yellow staining than is already there. The only way to get yellow stains "gone" is to have your tub or sink reglazed and then get a water softener to prevent stains from building up again. I understand the reglazing is a rather expensive process and the additional cost of a water softener makes this a rather $$$ fix.
  • Kit7831953

I have rust around the bottom of the toilet bowl how do I remove it?

• Emi25115737

Use gloves, 🎵poor boiling hot water in until the pressure of the water makes most of it go completely out. You will need to dip. The remaining water out leaving bowl empty. Pour the product called "The Works" on the rusty area. Let soak for about 30 minutes then brush with toilet brush and flush the loose rust doun the drain. Repeat if needed. Guarantee it will work ❤🎸❤
    • Joyce

The Works doesn't work anymore. They changed the chemical make up of their product. I have horrible rust stains from hard well water. I clean my toilet everyday with product found at hardware store only, near plumbers septic cleaning stuff. Called Restore. Can't find it at Home Depot or Menards. Gilroys got it, Ace Hdw...
    • Terri

I found this too! The best cleaner was Sno-Bol...thin! Until I couldnt find that any more...now my toilet is rusty again!

• Deb Seeley Witzke

Your right about the Works. Only the stuff in Green bottle works, IF you can find it.
    • Bex11607283

?? I use "The Works" in the white bottle and it works just fine. No hard scrubbing needed. I purchase it at Dollar Tree or Walmart. Dollar Tree is the only Dollar Store where everything is really a dollar !! ( I have never seen it in a green bottle.)

• Don5413559

Pumice stone and cleanser
    • Janice White

Use CLR/Baking Soda/Peroxide scrub with steel wool scrubber

• Richard Lane

Use Rust Off sold at Walmart in spray or powder.
    • Patti Nicholas

I deal issue with this everyday and inside your toilet bowl the BEST and EASIEST solution is to clean the bowl with Borax. Put 1/4 cup in the bowl, swish, let sit 30 min to overnight, swish again and flush. Any remaining stains, like rust and hard water lines, can easily be removed with a WET pumis stone, just gently rub across the stain and flush. Use the borax a few times a week overnight and you’ll never have the staining issue again.

• Amanda Elizabeth

How do you let it sit underneath the water tap? It just goes to the bottom
    • Jane Otzenberger

Whink is a great rust remover. You can use it on alot of stuff. Carpet. clothes, toilets. Can be bought almost anywhere.
    • Mary Lynn Brennion

A cloth soaked in it and lay on side of tub. Will stick while wet.

• Angie

I usually use a soaked useless rag that can be thrown away after. I just tie it around the spout. It drips down the tub.

• Judy H.

How can I put a liquid product on a vertical or downward sloping surface and "let it sit"? It runs right down the drain.
    • Jaki Field

soak cotton lightly wool in your product then lay it across the area - it should then stick to it. Works great on bath edges and curves
    • Judy H.

Thanks Jaki, I'm not sure I understand what type of fabric you are referring to here. Help?

• Joyce

Dampen a paper towel with mixture, place soaked paper towel anywhere, wrap it, it will stick. Leave on for 15-20 minutes, depends how bad stain is. Reapply if necessary. You can thank me in advance, learned this trick at Loves Green Cleaning Co. I worked for 8 years😁
    • Judy H.

Thanks Joyce!
    • Crumly

I also use soaked paper towels. Works well.

• Rose Garrison

If you are on a well, will the hydrogen peroxide negatively affect your septic tank?

• Sue

I love Barkeepers Friend...found at Lowes

• Kim D Holmes

Hydrogen Peroxide does work but I added some Baking Soda to a very wet Hydrogen Peroxide rag and rust on plastic came of with a little elbo Grease.