Front Porch Makeover on a Budget

$225

We recently made a few simple updates to our front porch and the results are blowin' my mind! Here is how the house looked about a year ago.
last summer we had the house painted, which was a huge, improvement. A whole year went by and last weekend Jesse and I cranked out a few more updates. First, my husband, Jesse, built boxes around our metal scroll work columns which was an affordable way to update the overall look (about $60 worth of plywood).
While Jesse was building the boxes, I used Rustoleum to paint our front door and screen door. Our dogs were very confused as to why I removed the windows!
We had this raggedy vintage glider on our back deck, so I decided to freshen it up and bring it to the font porch. I used the same can of Rustoleum I purchase for the front doors.
I also purchased new plant stands (they're really meant for candles) for either side of the door and hung two ferns using rope and a simple two knot method.
I'm loving our front porch, it's so nice to come home to! Of course I'm never quite "finished" so I'd like to add a couple more accessories like a fun sign for our house numbers. Aside from having the house painted, the rest of the updates cost about $200. Not too shabby!
For more photos and details, please visit the post on my blog. Thanks for reading, happy Hometalking!

Urban Acreage

• Rebecca

Looks great! Do you have an article on how he made the columns?

• Lifestyles Homes

The article said it was (exterior grade) plywood.

The photo shows 1x2’s and 1x8’s (maybe 10’s), Pine.

They appear to be toe nailed into the soffit, as I don’t see any blocking.

Theres the “skirt” trim top and bottom.

I would put some long coated or galvanized screws through the middle and bottom, to and the hold them together. Fill in the screw heads & paint to match.

• Sheri Farley

i love the the rope plant hangers? Do you have instructions on how to make these?!! I have several house plants that need to be hung up when I bring them in for the winter.

• Linda Cabler

I just have a little ole bitty 5' stoop out front. What can I do to "fix it up?"

• VanessaR

Looks awesome!

• Judy

I replaced wrought iron posts with posts made made with 10" X 10" lumber and it changed the look of my porch completely!