Amy
Amy
  • Manassas, VA

What Do You Do When You No Longer Need a Rocker? This!

When our daughter was born my in-laws purchased a lovely upholstered rocker for the nursery. I loved it and used it for both our children. But what do you do when you no longer need a rocker? Sell it? Give it away? NO...turn it into a stationary chair and use it!
re purposing the nursery rocker, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, reupholster
We removed the rockers from the bottom by turning the chair upside down and unscrewing the rockers from the base of the chair.
Since the chair was not originally built to support a leg at each corner we couldn’t just remove the rockers and screw in chair legs and be done. We had to build up each corner of the chair with some solid wood blocks at each of the corner frames.
We purchased sofa legs from an online store.
We added the legs to the pre-drilled wholes that were drilled into the blocks we made to support the legs.
And that was it! Now we have a chair for the family room and it doesn't even look like it came from the nursery! But...we all still know where the chair came from and it holds some wonderful memories.

Amy

• Susie BW

would this work with a recliner, still leaving the leg raise and back recline?

My husband had hip surgery and we need something stable to get in and out of, but he still needs the leg lift and reclining top.

• Sunshine

Definitely, we have an old rocker that we don't use. This looks simple enough to transform into a chair. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • Brandy Bryson

This makes me so happy!! I was in tears last night thinking about getting rid of our rocker, but I'm totally going to try this! Our rocker matches our living room furniture, and ive been wanting anothef chair in there anyway. 😃 This is the answer!! 💕💕💕💕